post-monstrous, pre-a-promise-to-the-dead

The benefactor was no longer a problem. They didn't seem to be facing any supernatural problems as of right now. Malia, however, was still adjusting to the shock of finding out that psychopathic murderer, Peter Hale, was her father. Stiles and I would have dealt with the problem from the night when Stiles came to comfort me, which resulted in a kiss but Malia definitely did not need that.

As a solution, Stiles and I decided we should return, for the time-being, back to the original state of our friendship- when Allison was alive. I was splayed across the bed reading Villette by Charlotte Brönte, a book Stiles had given me last year for Christmas, which was also one of my favourites. He tapped his pen impatiently against his desk, frowning at the math problem on the paper in front of him. I wanted to kiss him right there.

"Stiles?"

He turned to face me, "Yeah?"

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned.

"Yeah, yeah, fine."

"You use my notes but you never really have trouble with math." I began, hoping he could clarify.

"I'm not sure about that..."

"Oh come on. You're the human of the pack yet you're so valuable. It's your brains."

"I'm just having a little trouble."

"No you're not. You're distracted. What are you thinking about?" I gave him a curious look.

His answer was short, "You."

I blushed and bit down a smile when Stiles's father knocked on the door, walking in, "Drop what you're doing, I'm taking you both out to dinner, whatever you want."

"Dad I don't think anyone here should be treating anyone, to anything." Stiles responded, hesitantly.

"Well there is uh one debt we don't have to worry about," He brandished the envelope he pulled out from his pocket.

"What is that?" He asked, reading the envelope.

"A letter of apology, from Eichen house, apparently they've decided to forgive our debt due to uh... well, you and Lydia almost getting murdered."

"They can do that?" I questioned, feeling happy for Stiles. He'd been evidently stressed from their financial problems these past few months.

"They can do it. And they did it." Papa Stilinski grinned at me.

Stiles responded, "I have never been so happy for almost being murdered." I shook my head at his silly remark.

"We're not out of debt, but we're going to be okay." Stiles nodded, satisfied. "At least for the moment I can take my son and his friend out to dinner."

I started to close my books when Mr. Stilinski asked, "Lydia, what's your favourite food?"

"Oh this perfectly delicious escargot I had in France this one time. It was glazed with-" I stopped short looking at Stiles's incredulous look. Right, not completely out of debt. And we weren't in Europe. "Never mind, you can't find anything like that in Beacon Hills anyway. Pizza. I like pizza."

Stiles rolled his eyes but then gave me a small smile. I was glad to be here.

***

I scanned the menu in Whittemore's Pizzeria licking my lips just thinking of the savoury pizza.

I glanced up to sneak a look at Stiles when I realized his eyes were glued on me. My cheeks flushed. I scolded myself, Lydia Martin should not be behaving like this. This was Stiles Stilinski. A year ago he was pining after me. A month ago, before our little Eichen house expedition we stopped almost all one-on-one interaction. The attention was pleasing.

He bumped my knee.

I threw him a smile.

His arm was solid pressed against mine. There wasn't much danger in a pizza restaurant but I felt safe just sitting next to him, nodding as Stiles and his dad discussed a recent case.

"How's Malia doing?" Sheriff gave Stiles a pointed look.

My heart clenched.

Stiles liked her. I knew that. I still wasn't sure what he'd felt for me. So far all I knew was that there was unresolved sexual tension. Did he still want to be with her? It was an unspoken agreement between the two of us that we would attempt friendship. For now. I loved being Stiles's friend again but I wasn't sure if it would ever be enough for me.

"It's tough for her, you know? I mean it's Peter. She's getting better at the whole human thing though. I'm really proud of her."

Jealousy flared inside of me. It didn't suit me and it was an unattractive accessory but I didn't say anything.

"She's lucky to have you." His dad said in a soft voice.

I bit my lip. She was. She needed him.

"It's nice to have you back Lydia." Sheriff smiled. "We've been missing you around the house."

Under the table I felt Stiles's hand enclose mine. His palms were rough, covered in blisters. His fingers were slender and long. I could have held them forever. I squeezed back, comforted.

"I've missed being around. I'd love to help with the investigations." I offered.

"Are you sure your psychic powers would help?"

"Dad, Dad, Lydia's a banshee. She's also a total genius. I think her prodigal skills could figure the case out by themselves." Stiles smirked, still stroking her hand.

I glowed, I didn't know what the state of their relationship was but for now, this was certainly enough.

"I'm not sure about that..." I managed to utter, still flustered from Stiles's compliment.

"Oh, she's great at lots of things."

***

We'd arrived at my house and I didn't want the night to end.

It wasn't a date. But it was dinner. With his dad.

But it was Stiles.

"I gotta go Lyds." His smile looked forlorn. The sentiment was shared.

I reached out to wrap my arms around him. "Okay." My voice remained muffled against his chest.

His arms found my waist and he held onto me. "I've loved you since the third grade, you know that?"

"I'm not the girl who still writes everything in pink crayon." Did he still like me? Eight years ago, I was a different person.

"You're Lydia Martin. Lydia, you have to know, I like you. A lot."

"More than Star Wars?" I held in a chuckle.

"Um..."

"Seriously?" I deadpanned.

"Okay, it's a tie."

I laughed, "Good enough. For now."

He looked at me. And that's when I just knew. I wanted this. I wanted it so badly.

"I want to kiss you." I immediately regretted my words.

"It would've been perfect if I said 'then kiss me.' "

My voice stayed light, "Yeah, it would have."

Stiles looked remorseful.

"It's okay. Right now, this is good. This is what I want."

"Lydia." He said it all. With one word. With the lilt of his baritone voice.

I knew.