Six

Gwen's phone vibrates on her bedside table and she looks over at it.

It's a text. From Dallas.

Warily, she reads it.

Can I come over? I need to talk to you.

After a moment's panic, Gwen looks over at her mirror. Red eyes, pale skin, hair all over the place...

Sure.

She throws her hair up into a ponytail and goes into the living room in her over-sized T-shirt and leggings. Gwen's socks slide across the wooden floors and she smiles slightly.

Dallas knocks on her door less than 10 minutes later. She opens the door, takes one look at his eyes, and sobs once. Just once. Abruptly, she turns around and starts walking to the kitchen. He follows her. Gwen is glad, but also frustrated. Why can't he just leave her alone? And why does a part of her still want him to stay?

She grabs two water bottle from the fridge and tosses Dallas one. He catches it. Neither of them say a word.

The silence grows until Dallas can't take it anymore.

"Look Gwen, I'm so sorry. I don't know what happened... and I know I was moving too fast, and I wasn't thinking straight, and-"

She stops him by putting her hand over his mouth. Her eyes are filling with tears. Gwen takes her hand away and starts to talk, quietly, and calmly.

"I know. And I'm sorry too. But... I know what I was thinking." she pauses, and smiles down at the ground before continuing. "I was thinking... about how I feel around you. And what you remind me of. I mean... you remind of Jason. Because I see him in you. But now... you really just remind me of how happy I was around him. And I'm happy around you too. It's like.. it's like you have the part of Jason in you that I loved. And I'm starting to love that part of you too..." she sighs. "I don't know how to explain it. When Jason died, it hurt like hell. I made my parents move me here, and I stopped talking to everyone I used to know. And... I became a completely different person. ...I forgot who I really was. And with you... I remember. I remember how I was, who I was. And, with you, I can be that person again. And that's the person I want to be. That's why I always want you around."

She pauses, again. And he waits.

"Look, I don't know anything for sure yet. I just know that.. I like having you around. Because you make me happy. But my past is always going to be a part of me, so... if I ever... if that ever comes up... at least you'll know why, right?"

Gwen doesn't know what she's asking. She doesn't know what he'll say. And she's not even sure if she wants him to answer. She just wants things to be okay again. Because she doesn't know what she'd do if she didn't have Dallas around.

He answers.

"Okay, so... my turn, right?"

She nods hesitantly, holding her breath.

"...I love being around you too. You make me forget the things that constantly haunt me. With you... I  matter. With you... I'm not invisible. And lately, you're all I know. Lately, you're all I want to know. If that makes any sense..." he pauses and shakes his head to clear his thoughts. "I just... well... I-need-to-tell-you-something." he mutters.

"Huh?" she says. Why won't he look her in the eyes?

Dallas sighs, and Gwen's heart skips a beat. This must be important...

"I need to tell you something. And... I'll understand if you hate me for it."

She bites her lip nervously. "Talk to me."

And then, the whole story comes out.

- Alyssa <3