Chapter One

• Dedicated to Everyone that I love

 (This story and all of its content is legal copyright of Annie Kay © 2010. All rights reserved.)

~Ivy~

Pushing my glasses further up my nose, I sit in the far corner of the library on a very comfortable armchair. Tonight was my usual Friday night. Reading fiction stories alone at my local library until closing time. Lucky for me, they didn’t close till nine.

It was about eight o’clock now and the library was dead. The librarian had finished her work and was just sitting in the staffroom drinking lots of coffee and texting her lover—not her husband—and as it’s Friday night, no-one would be caught dead chilling in the library; even the local nutters were too cool for this.

I, on the other hand, loved spending my time in the library. I loved losing myself in a good book and snuggling up in a soft armchair. It was better than being at home. Home. I shiver.

 My house is the nosiest, wildest, craziest house in all of Doro Falls. And the reason for this is my younger sister. There is only a year between us in age, but miles between us in maturity. We are like chalk and cheese, we don’t match.

And that is why I am held up in the cosy library at eight o’clock on a Friday night, because my sister is having a party on tonight; like every Friday night.

I pulled back my annoyingly long hair into a ponytail and thought about all the low life’s that would be there, doing shots, jumping in the pool, trying to sleep together in our bedrooms... I’m just so glad I’ve locked mine and my parents’ up because that is the worst thing, going home and finding a couple you don’t know having sex in your bed. I couldn’t sleep in my room for weeks, and I got mum to buy me a new bed.

The parties at the Troy’s’ house were legendary. If you were invited, you were popular, if you weren’t, then you were not. Simple. Obviously, my sister, being the bitch that she was, invited lots of people individually, breaking up friendship groups and so forth. The other day, I was walking through school when I heard two friends shouting at each other because one got an invite and the other didn’t. Those girls had been best friends since primary school and now the girl that was invited hangs out with my sister’s posse. Sad really.

I looked up at the clock and the hands told me it was eight fifty pm. I had ten minutes. The librarian came out from the staffroom with a huge grin on her face and her mobile in her hand. She looked over at me and her smile vanished. She was only a young woman; I’d say late twenties and had blonde hair that was always straightened. She was a very groomed woman. She also hated me, unlike Doris, the older librarian, who loved me. I was a bit like Marmite to these librarians.

“Right, I’m gonna close up a few minutes early today, so you know where the exit is,” she points to the door. I sigh and raise from the warm circle I had made on my chair. I stretched feeling four hours of reading hit me all at once. Grabbing my bag I headed for the door, feeling her eyes stare holes into the back of my head. I decided to walk slower than I needed to, just to annoy the rude woman, and I could tell it worked, as the holes in my head were growing intensity.

Getting into my car, I drove slowly back home. I didn’t know why, the party would still be in full swing and I really didn’t want to be harassed again by all the weirdo’s that claimed an interest in me only to ask for my sisters number. It was just like being at college where all the rejects try and befriend me just to get an invitation to the Troy’s party. It was pathetic.