Chapter Three

Parking up in the car park of Doro Falls’ secondary school/college, I climb out and head for the sixth form section. Younger kids in uniforms were jumping around and chasing each other like they were on red bull at eight am in the morning while I trudged like a zombie through the grounds.

I walk up to the cafeteria and buy myself a latte so could sit down and wait for Jane and Libby to arrive. I was watching the other sixth form students interact with interest that I didn't see my sister come up and stand next to me.

“Oi YOU!” she calls to me, even though she is standing next to me. I don’t give her the satisfaction of turning around and meeting her gaze.

I just sigh and say “Yes Maisie? Did you lose your clones? I think they went over there, by the canteen. I think they thought you'd be over there, buying yourself some chips just to puke up again.” This time I turn my head slightly just to see her reaction.

She looks hurt for a second and then becomes outraged. “You aren't really in a position to be cocky to me, the schools queen bee, you, you nobody,” she hisses into my ear.

I just giggle. “And you’re not really in a position to talk to me like that, the older sister, are you? Baby girl?” I give her my full psychopathic smile.

She huffs then pouts, “I can't believe what you said to mum Saturday morning. Why did you dob me in? I didn't do anything to you. I gave you an invite. You’re always welcome—”

“Great!” I interrupt. “At least I know I'm welcome to enter my own house.” I give her a dirty look. But she carries on as if I hadn't interrupted.

“And you have been hiding in the library?! I thought you'd be at Jane’s or Libby's or at another party, where you can actually drink alcohol legally,” she smiles warmly at me.

I hadn't seen my sister since Saturday morning, and was grateful for it.

I was wondering where my sister was heading with this conversation. But she stopped, so maybe she wasn't going anywhere with it. It just didn't make sense. She was quite confusing when she was trying to make a normal conversation with me. Maybe she was trying to be nice? Who knows? I just nod and gratefully see Jane and her new boyfriend Will, heading towards us.

I completely blank my sister as they approach. God I felt sorry for her, my parents had really messed her up. She couldn't even make a normal conversation with her own sister. Finally she got the hint, and walked away.

“What did she want?” Jane hisses at me, glaring at the position to where she had been standing.

“God knows, she was just as bi-polar as normal. I think she was trying to threaten me at first for flipping at mum Saturday morning and dobbing on her. But then she changed course and I think she was trying to have a normal conversation with me. I think she felt bad for me having to spend my Friday nights in a library so I didn't have to hang out with her stupid friends.” I explain, looking at my friend and her new boyfriend.

He was, as I had said to Libby last night, hot.