Chapter 6, part 1: Days 9, 10

The rest of the trip across the reserve was relatively uneventful. Once, the three ninja had to sprint across an open meadow and leap a small stream to evade pursuit by a band of tuigrahan. The next night, the trio slept concealed in the branches of a nearoak tree whilst more of the creatures passed by below them. Kleymin had never seen the horizon so broad, there was a clean swipe of orange across the sky at nightsend and daysend, with no mountains or hills to bite chunks of black from the ochre sky. He felt his senses expand as they recognised new sounds and smells that his teachers at the village had only replicated in classes. 

Moving from the mountains with the background roar of waterfalls made from snowmelt, the plains dazzled Kleymin at the start with the volume of noise. The broad plains were populated with the hum of insect wings moving between the tall stalks of long grass, barely disturbed by the ninja as they passed through using their talents of concealment. 

As the day went on, he came to recognise a few of the insects' songs, catching a few locusts for a snack as they kept up a long lope that ate up the miles. The low huff of tuigrahan he was able to pinpoint, leading the ninjas around parties of them at a good distance. He could now smell the dampness of leaf mulch and wet clay before he heard the steady trickle of streams which smelt much less sharp than their new-born counterparts in the mountains; the smell of ice and rain clung to those streams, although he had never been able to recognise this before. 

At the village, classes had concentrated on the geography formed of sound and smell and Kleymin had always daydreamed his way through reciting lists of the flowers that make poison on the highlands, and types of plants which give water in the deserts. Kleymin became more confident in his skills of concealment and silence as Da-keimin tutored both him and Takata assiduously, assessing their performance constantly. Kleymin learnt every lesson by heart. 

In spite of himself, Da-keimin was impressed; the boy learned phenomenally quickly, only needing to be told or shown something, some technique, some movement, but a single time before he could repeat it perfectly. The older ninja felt a pang of jealousy; the weeks, the months, he had spent absorbing some of his lessons and this lad could do things at least as well as he could on his first attempt! With such skills, he could become the youngest, most accomplished, leader of the Clan of the Night since they had arrived here in the Fifth Circle of Hell. And yet, and yet – there was something about him that made Da-keimin uncertain. Perhaps his inclination to ask questions, to always want to know 'the reason why'. To Da-keimin's mind, a ninja did not need to know why, all they needed to know what they were ordered to achieve. Did the youngster have the temperament, the detachment, to be a ninja? The older man had sworn to keep a close eye on Kleymin and he always kept his word.

The three Inquisitors were gathered close around a low table, studying a map. The atmosphere in the room was warm, conspiratorial. The judge-mage laid a pale finger on the parchment, the blue and gold sleeve of his kimono riding up to expose a thin, pale, bony wrist, "The ninja are here, travelling north-east towards Cheikatoma. We cannot reach the town before them. I propose that we send a warning to our brethren in Cheikatoma, to catch the ninja when they try and enter." His voice was confident, containing some secret excitement. 

 "You seem unusually certain that Cheikatoma is their destination, Tzumak," said the Grand Inquisitor, suspicion evident in her voice and sharp-featured face, "Do College matters impinge on Inquisition business here? Have you information that the ninja are somehow involved in our business after all? Are you saying that we should have tried to deal with them on the road?" She spoke sharply, reminding Tzumak of his divided loyalties. 

 The judge-mage bowed low to the Grand Inquisitor, "Inquisitor Susoo, I am indeed certain of my facts. They came from a most unusual source. The destination of the ninja is named but not their goal. Nothing that I know suggests that your decision was incorrect." A light began to gleam in Susoo's unusual hazel-coloured eyes, bringing a fierce expression to her face.,"May I ask the nature of this unusual source, Judge Tzumak?" She lay heavy emphasis on the word 'Judge'. The significance did not escape Tzumak, but he was impervious to it. He bowed again, not quite so low this time, "You may ask, Inquisitor Susoo," he replied, undaunted, "but I may not answer." The light burned more strongly in Susoo's eyes at this unexpected answer. Her mouth became hard, like a steel trap. She threw back her head, the red streaks in her black hair becoming more evident, "Have a care, judge, lest you dare too much. Go now, and send the warning." Tzumak bowed once more and shuffled backwards from her presence.