Chapter 21, part 2: Day 28 continues

"A couple of broken ribs, I think," grimaced Darenta, slowly rising from the ground. 

 "Let's just check on that," said Rolf, starting towards her, bow held loosely in his left hand. 

 "No time for that now," called a voice. Burrowwold's dorvei trotted back into the gully. "There's some wulven cavalry on our trail. They'll be here in ten minutes or so." Tania groaned. Oax swore and spat on the ground. Rolf sighed and courteously helped Darenta to her animal as Burrowwold held out the reins.

"Yoshiro and I could hold them here and improve your chances," suggested Astin to Oax, fingering one of the few arrows in the quiver at her waist. The ronin looked at her in surprise, then shrugged, clearly accepting the role. The blonde swordsman shook his head, "Saddle up. We're not that desperate yet." Yoshiro took the reins of his dorvei from Susoo. "We're not likely to get another position like this," the ronin said, voice steady. Burrowwold whipped his dorvei forward. "Oh, come on! If you hang around here arguing much longer, you can all play at being heroes. Me, I'm moving out," he snapped.

The dorvei fastidiously picked its way around the three corpses. The others started to follow. "Here, take my animal," said Rana to Oax, quietly. "My wings can give us some more aid before they tire." Wordlessly, Oax took the proffered reins and turned away as the elf trotted back up the cleft, bow now in hand.

The dorvei daintily picked their way down from the gully, cantering alongside a small stream. Astin and Yamatomo splashed across the water and up the far side of the little valley. Tzumak held a gem up to the light. "A spark!" he cried, hope filling his voice, "We must go that way!" He pointed to where the valley turned to their left, with the low hillside above crowned with a jumble of stones.

Urging the animals forward, they pressed on. Ahead, the scouts suddenly reined in and turned to gallop back to their companions. "I don't think I'm going to like this," groaned Oax, "Make for the stones."

As they raced towards the rocks, a huge, bat-like shape flapped out of the clouds and dropped heavily onto the low ridge. The others halted when they reached the elf. Rana was panting heavily. "I drew the wulven away," he gasped, "but there.. are more.. that way, and that. We ...are surrounded." As he spoke, several dozen gnals rushed into the valley behind Yamatomo and Astin. Oax looked wryly around his companions. "Anyone offering to get us out of this one?" he asked. "No? I thought not. Time for steel again, then." He drew his sword.

Burrowwold sprang out of his basket, spat on his palms and drew his kodachi with a flourish. "If the valley were filled with fog, we might be able to slip away in ones and twos," he suggested, glancing at Oax, then Tzumak. Rolf raised his eyebrows and whistled, "That's risky, isn't it?" The little gnome grinned evilly up at the slim archer. "You got any better ideas, high pockets?" he taunted. Receiving no answer, he turned and started chanting his spell.

Tzumak, in response to a wordless question from Susoo, shook his head. "I regret that I am too tired to give us any real aid, Grand Inquisitor. Even were I fresh to the fight, I fear my paltry powers would avail us little in these dire straits." Susoo's stern, enquiring gaze fixed on Rana. The elf dazzled them with a momentary smile, "The wings..are very..tiring ..to use," he said, still breathing deeply, "They tax.. physically ..rather than ..magically. I can.. cast a spell ..or two yet .. My sword ..may also ..help." Susoo nodded, apparently satisfied by this answer.

"We've got a cliff behind us and the slope in front. It's as good a place as anywhere to make a stand," muttered Oax, testing the edge of his sword with one thumb.

Yamatomo and Astin jumped off their dorvei as they arrived in a tumult of noise and flying dirt. "There are more following that lot, including some gaks and another giant," reported Yamatomo, passing the reins of his animal to Susoo. Oax merely grunted, then said, "If we drive the dorvei in ahead of us, it should add to the confusion and improve our chances. I can't see us riding out of here." Everyone understood the unspoken addition to this comment; Oax didn't expect anyone to survive. The aim was to kill as many of the enemy as possible before being cut down.