Chapter 22, part 1: Day 29

To the west of Vartansberg, deep in the wild-lands, a long line of hastily-constructed rafts and crudely built boats floated downstream on a broad yet swiftly-moving river. Aboard each one, tuigrahan jostled and argued, each doing their best to stay as far away from the turbulent brown water. Their leaders barked orders and threatened those who caused too much trouble, resorting to blows when necessary. Paddles were used to keep the clumsy vessels close to the banks, as well as ensuring they kept up a good pace. Occasionally, two or three would collide, which caused much shouting and yelling and the odd drowning, but the ramshackle fleet kept moving. They came to a narrow gorge where the water sped them through and out into the slower water beyond.

A curiously-shaped large rock, almost humanoid in appearance, stood on the edge of the cliff overlooking the gorge. It seemed to glower down on the tuigrahan as they floated south. Over one thousand raucous goblins and gnals were carried through the gorge before silence came back to the cliffs. A little while later, the sounds of a second mass of the creatures could be heard approaching. The rock glowered down on them too as it watched them pass. Later still, as the sun declined towards the horizon, a third flotilla made the awkward transit through the gorge. The rock did not glower at them, however; it had vanished from the cliff-edge.

The morning found all the travellers in the refectorium, eager for hot food to break their fast. The last of them to enter, Tania, had barely started on her food when Westizal walked in. "I have decided that I must abandon my eyrie," he announced. "My servants are already preparing for the journey. We will be setting out in three days' time. Two wagons and three of my servants will accompany you back to Vartansberg. Zmnt, Staren, Kleymin and I will join you there later." This last statement provoked uproar, everyone trying to speak at once. Then a voice cut through the tumult. "Silence!" Everyone ceased trying to make themselves heard instantly, stunned by the power of the voice which had spoken. "Thank you," continued Susoo, more sweetly. "My lord wu-jen, the Shogun Inquisitor has instructed me to accompany the boy on his travels. Those orders brook no interference. Where the boy goes, I go." She inclined her head to the curly-haired man, cold calculations visible in her eyes. The wizard gave her a small smile in response, "The boy or the sword, Grand Inquisitor-sana? Fortunately, the two are not to be parted. Very well, you may come with us." Susoo bowed in acceptance, as though accepting a generous concession, although all knew that she would have accepted nothing less. "Judge Tzumak, though, did not receive any such instructions, did he? He stays with the main group," continued the wu-jen, matching Susoo's expression carefully, "I need a small party capable of moving swiftly through the wild-lands without being noticed." Susoo's eyes narrowed slightly, then she nodded once, abruptly, accepting these terms. A beautiful voice spoke next, everyone else keeping silent just to listen to the music it held. Rana, speaking in Elvish, said, "What of me, oh wizard? Am I to offend my king in this matter, or does his voice carry weight to equal that of the Shogun Inquisitor?" As always with elves, it was hard to read any emotion from his face or voice. Westizal replied in the same language, although his human tongue could not bring the same grace and melody to his words, "If King Helidron complains, tell him I said to set it against the incident at Morkathu. I think even he cannot doubt my rights to a favour for that." Again, there was that slight smile upon the wu-jen's face. At this, Rana laughed aloud, a sound so beautiful that some present wished for a moment that it would never cease. He spoke again, a cascade of stately music, "It is long since anyone called him Helidron, wu-jen. He is Haefingarmu now, who must pay the price for your earlier services - as everyone pays in the end, eh, wizard? I have been warned about you and the interactions you have had with my race. I will arrange to pass on your message. I would not like to come within his reach to deliver it in person, you understand." The elf made a graceful movement with his left hand, indicating reluctant acceptance, "That does, however, leave me a free agent, able to choose my own path home." Rana smiled at that, making it quite evident what his route might be. The others looked blankly at this brief exchange, unable to comprehend language or gestures. Susoo looked at Tzumak with a question on her face but the mage just shrugged helplessly. His expression said to her, quite clearly, I am a Judge-Mage, I am not a diplomat or envoy to the elves. I have no idea what just happened, what was said. Susoo's expression hardened; his response was definitely inadequate, as far as she was concerned.