Chapter 26 Walter Writes

Walter

They all gasped heavily as they were pulled back to the maze. Walter hasn't understood anything about what he saw but he has ideas and it is clear in his head that he saw someone he knew, the brazen young face of Arthur and how well he wield  the quill as if it was some kind of a sword. The ripple spun and it disintegrated as Walter corked the bottle quickly.

Isn't it funny? Fate was like a pile of dang that wants to torment you over and over. While Walter had just received powerful gifts which he barely worked hard with, John slouched at a fallen debris, face sunken, obviously forfeited.

The strong flow of power is slowly dissipating in his veins. Walter feels the urge of doing something, his hands itched as he held the quill and the bottle of red ink. He closed his eyes and inhaled the now cool air.

"They're here," Ariadne piped in.

Marcus, Fatima and Maricar descended from the hill of debris. The girls were bruised, their dresses were torn and stained with green goo. "What happened?" Walter asked, moving forward to approach the girls. "Wild Tangling Vines," Fatima attempted to brush off the goos from her dress but her attempt failed. "Disgusting," Maricar grumbled.
"Enough." Everyone looked at John's direction as he stood up with a frowning face. "Let's get out of here, we have no idea of what lies outside this maze, what's happening to Barnania right now."

"You're right." Ariadne agreed. "But how are we supposed to get out? Which way?" Maricar whined.

"Through magic," Walter eyes glistened as he uncorked the bottle again, dipped the quill inside and wrote the words "portal to Barnania". A ripple swirled again, but it isn't a dark one, it's multicolored. The portal glowed as it continues to swirl. "What are we waiting for?" He said it proudly as he edged forward and entered the portal first. All eyes looked at him in disbelief.

This is it, the moment he always dreams of, having powers, the self esteem, the courage and determination to fight like every hero in the anime he watched.

Cold air greeted him, the night sky was filled with cirrocumulus clouds and the waxing full moon glows red, its light creeps from the gloomy forest to the black castle with twin towers adjacent to each other. John walked forward and stood beside him, seeing his home again filled him with nostalgia. Ariadne and Marcus stepped out from the portal, Fatima and Maricar followed and then the portal dissolved. They were standing at the meadow, staring at the dark castle that is cloaked in gold and purple mists. Ariadne looked up and hung her mouth open. "The crimson moon," she mouthed then a gust of cold air breezed. "What do we do now?" Walter asked gripping the quill and the bottle of ink in his hands. "Mess with the mess and set everything right." John recited the last line of the riddle in his dream. "So what mess are we messing with?" Walter questioned. "Is that suppose to be meant literally?" Maricar inquired, fixing her messy hair. "Could be," Fatima said it from the edge, still attempting to disintegrate the goos from her dress. John chuckled and said: "Fate can sometimes be so cruel, sometimes it could be so unfair."

"Fate has never been so cruel," Maricar frowned, "But, it's sometimes unfair."
"Yes, it is indeed unfair. But, it's always been equal. People have different perspective on viewing how fate meddle with their lives, some may say fate has been so good with them coz it gives them fortune, some may say it's not, since it's torturing them. My point is that it's always been so equal since we couldn't predict it, no one can't see it but it's been equally occurring to us but not that fairly. Fairness is the satisfaction we get while equality is the way of treating the same." There was a moment of silence after Marcus finished his monologue till Walter broke it with a question. "Equality is treating the same but isn't it supposed to be fair?"

"Being treated equally doesn't mean being treated fair. Imagine I'm your friend and Ariadne as well," Ariadne gawked at him. "I'm giving the both of you powers. Ariadne would you accept it?" "No, I already have mine." She glowed her hands red to show her powers. "You," Marcus gazed at Walter. "Of course." "Do you get it? If I were to give you two powers without asking. . . For example I'll give you each twenty-five percent of my powers, that's treating equally. But how about the satisfaction? Ariadne had already powers, Walter had not. So that would only make Ariadne more powerful than Walter, but I've given them equal amount of powers, so I'm treating them equally but not fairly since they are not having the same amount of powers."