Chapter 6

They weren't her parents, and she didn't even know it. That was the first thought that struck him when she confessed that they'd been giving her some unknown substance. The second thought was how that had taken a lot of courage for her to tell him something clearly so disorienting for her. She had courage, in spades, and he wished he could tell her as much. Instead, he skulked away, like the uncaring bastard he was. The sons of bitches had been drugging her, and she didn't know why or with what, but she had shared that with him and he'd walked away because he had the info he needed.

A decent man would have stayed, maybe offered a kind word or two, to show some sympathy. But not him. And why? Because he had more important things to do than show kindness to the woman. The person who'd hired him to kidnap her would be at the bar in thirty minutes and he didn't want to be second on the scene. He had no idea what the man or woman looked like, how much back up he or she would have, or if they'd have any real fire power – DSPS security measures aside – if things got rough. What bothered him most about this whole situation was that he didn't want to hand her over. Period.

"Let's go," he said ten minutes later, after he'd armed himself with knives and a few other devices that wouldn't be picked up by security sensors. No guns allowed on space stations, except by security. He felt naked without a gun, but he'd do just fine with his knives.

She strolled out of her cabin, confident and carefree, as if they were going for a mere walk on the station. Her wanton disregard for her own safety baffled him. Then again, she hadn't looked him in the eyes since her confession earlier. That made him feel like more of a heel, but it couldn't be helped.

"Give me your arm," he said.

"Why?" she asked, her distrust finally kicking into gear. Good, she might need it soon enough.

Without warning, he grabbed her arm, instantly regretting his use of force as she winced. A soldier would have the decency to explain himself as he pushed up her sleeve, exposing the dozens of pinprick scars on the crook of her arm, but not him. He laid the needle on an area of smooth, perfect skin between the scars. The implant would not be easily noticed here among all the tracks. As he pushed the needle into her arm and she bit down, his stomach clenched. He was no better than those bastards who'd shot her up with who knew what. He'd never forget the look in her eyes, the tears she struggled to hold back, the look of betrayal. Hell, he didn't sign on for this, but it had to be done.

"What was that?" she asked, swiping the back of her hand against her eyes.

"Something to make you relax," he lied. He couldn't explain why he'd planted a tracker in her let alone risk her removing it.

"That wasn't necessary. No one's going to be there to buy me."

"Nice try."

"Really. I'm the one who hired you, Teegan."

Points for originality, he had to give her that, and she looked pretty convincing too. Maybe he should tell her the best lies were based in truth, but then it would seem like he was putting her down, and right now he didn't have the heart to do that, not with where he was taking her. She looked fragile, suddenly, the way her lips quivered and she was rubbing the implant site. He should be doing something to calm her, or at least make her feel less alone. None of this was her fault.

"If no one's going to be there, then I guess we'll be taking a short tour of the station," he said, trying to keep his tone light. "Or would you prefer to stay here and find another way to entertain me?" Hell, he hadn't meant to go there again, but flirting was so natural with her, especially when he would be happy to do more than flirt.