Chapter 12

Teegan followed her, even though she'd asked him to leave. He was like a faithful puppy dog, or what she imagined one would be if she'd ever had one. Each time she glanced over her shoulder, he stood there, tall, strong, stubborn. It didn't make sense why he was sticking with her. She had nothing to offer him, and he had Diamond's money. This was the perfect time for him to leave. Diamond wouldn't find her here, and even if he did, Mac wouldn't let him get near her. Teegan thought Mac was dangerous, but he wasn't. Not really. She could count on Mac, just like she could count on Teegan. Well, not quite the same. Mac had never left her. Teegan would, in time.

Maybe Teegan liked the adventure, or felt he had a score to settle. Either way, this evening was going to prove awkward at best. Mac had given her a room for the night, and Teegan refused to return to his ship without her. He didn't trust Mac. For that matter, Mac didn't trust Teegan. It was almost like watching two matching bookends fight over how each could protect her better. She didn't need either one of them to protect her, however. She just needed a safe place to think and figure out her next move.

Skylar stopped at the entrance Mac had shown her, the one that led to his offices from the back end of the promenade. She placed her hand on the scanner and waited. No one had stopped her from getting this close. Maybe because of the tall muscled man guarding her back. She smiled at that image. When had she last felt so safe? An image of a dark-skinned man popped into her head. His name was something like Vander, Gunther... just when she thought it was within reach, it faded away, like every other damn memory she tried to pull from the abyss. Whatever his name was, she remembered he moved much like Teegan, with stealth, purpose, and confidence.

"Ah, my ApplePie, home at last." Mac looked over her shoulder. "I see you brought home a stray."

"Like I said, my bodyguard."

"I can guard your body just fine, Pi."

She could hear Teegan's growl from where she stood. Better stop this testosterone showdown before it went too far. "He won't cause any trouble. Will you, Teegan?" she asked, looking over her shoulder.

"Still waiting for the rest of my stuff to be returned," he said.

"That's a yes," she said to Mac.

"No, it isn't," Teegan said.

She waved a casual hand towards him without looking back. "He get's grumpy without his toys. Can you get them back for him?"

"Anything for you," Mac said, tapping her nose with a finger on the word 'you.'

Another growl, a bit louder this time.

"Tell him to heal, or he'll have to stay outside with the other mutts, Pi."

She forced a smile. Mac had changed. He'd never looked down on people before. She tried to shake it off, but it was hard because for the few moments she'd been in the room, she'd seen herself treat Teegan dismissively, like Mac did his own people. That wasn't like her. Was this how she'd become a killer along the way? Because she blended in with her surroundings a bit too easily? Had they done more than strip her memories away?

They followed Mac down a series of corridors. The layout was foreign to her. More proof that nothing stayed the same. The room he led her to was simple but had everything she could need. A private bath, bed, door, and a computer. Whoever decorated it had no taste, given the orange walls, purple ceiling and a horrid, life-size painting that ran from ceiling to floor on the back wall, a couple going at it up against a tree. Fortunately, that peep show was to her back as she slid into the chair by the table. As her finger ran along the sleek line of the computer, she gave Mac a huge smile. "You know me like the back of your hand."