Chapter 8

Money? For all his trouble? He took a deep breath. No, he wouldn't take anything she said personally. One look at her sitting there, mentally pushing him away even though she was clearly hurting told him what he needed to know. She knew she was in trouble, and she was trying to extricate herself, but she wouldn't let anyone get hurt in the process. There was no way she'd been working with the Goldsmiths, even if she did have access to their money.

"I'll decide where I go and what I do, Princess. For now, I want answers."

She nodded slightly, almost sheepishly. He kept his face stoic, though it pained him. He didn't want her to be scared of him. She had repeated his words 'Swift, clean and without complications' exactly as he'd typed them from his Monk32 alias. There was no question she'd set up her own kidnapping.

"What type of person arranges her own kidnapping?"

"A desperate one," she said, unable to look at him.

He'd guessed that much already. She was in trouble, they both knew it, but he needed details so he could figure out their next move. "Why so desperate? Mommy and Daddy wouldn't let you take the shuttle out for a spin?"

From her expression, it was clear he'd insulted her. Good. If he got her angry enough, she'd slip up and reveal whatever she was hiding.

"You know nothing about my parents... I mean Margaret and Ephram."

"You call your parents by their first names?"

"No, I mean yes." She rose from the bed, hands clenched at her sides as she tried to escape him. Teegan rose to block her, as well as to catch her if she faltered again.

"I know they're not my real parents, that they adopted me. At least I think they adopted me." She looked him square in the eye, bewilderment replacing the anger of moments ago. "I don't remember much about them, except the day I arrived at their house. They showed me my suite and introduced me to everyone."

"How old were you?"

"Twelve... fifteen... seventeen?" she said, shrugging her shoulders.

"You don't know?"

"I have... memory issues."

He suspected it took a lot for her to admit that. She didn't like appearing weak, especially after having been attacked and drugged. Memory loss would explain a lot, though not everything. Like how she'd come to be with them and what they'd been doing to her. And how Diamond and Nine Fingers had gotten involved.

"Tell me some more, about the others in your family."

"What others?"

"That estate was full of people. It's not like I walked up to the main gate and you answered the door."

"No other family. A lot of servants, bodyguards, exercise coaches, my tutor, and the staff."

"Having a wealthy family doesn't sound so bad." That earned him a glare. Hells, she had trusted him more when he'd first kidnapped her than she did now. But she'd been attacked and drugged since then. And he'd essentially let it happen. "I'm on your side, Princess."

"You kidnapped me. You're on no one's side but your own."

"Like it or not, we share a common goal now. Whoever sent Diamond and Nine Fingers will be coming after me too, just as much if not more than you."