Chapter Thirty One

The ward was bustling with more people than Marlene could ever recall during her time at the hospital. She hadn't been in since the day of Mrs. Potter's death, but Clover informed her promptly when she strolled up to the healer's desk for her scheduled shift that an outbreak of dragon pox had kept the unit exceedingly busy.

"It appears that half of London has been in and out of here the last couple of days," she said hurriedly; her Irish accent sounded much more prominent when she spoke fast. She swept a stray strand of her auburn locks away from her face from where it had escaped her ponytail, and handed Marlene a clipboard. But as Marlene grasped hold of it, Natasha spoke up from a chair nearby.

"Claven said to make sure you stick around here when your shift starts," she was grinning with unexplainable satisfaction. Marlene wanted to smack it clean off her face. Her irritation had grown tenfold in the days following her breakup with Sirius.

"You mind your own business," Clover snapped at her. Then she readdressed Marlene. "Ignore her. Room number eight is all yours."

But Marlene couldn't ignore Madley's smug composure, and she was in no mood for her nonsense. So instead of ignoring her, she engaged. "And why does he want me to stick around?"

"Obviously you're in trouble," her grin, if possible, widened. Marlene all but lunged forward towards the desk and Natasha's smile faltered; Marlene didn't need magic to get her point across. But Clover's hand shot out to push Marlene's body back away from starting a physical altercation.

Natasha's warning did however allow her preparation for when Claven strolled up a moment later. She wasn't completely blindsided when he addressed her, confirming that she was in fact in trouble.

"Marlene, we need to discuss your last shift," he looked annoyed but Marlene couldn't be certain if it was with her specifically, or that he actually had to do his job for once. He had been a terrible preceptor and she had every intention to tell him as much.

"Okay," she replied. She had expected that the discussion would occur but she wasn't quite certain why Madley was inclined to believe she was in trouble for it. She hadn't done anything wrong. Marlene expected Claven to lead her somewhere private, perhaps the healer's lounge, to discuss whatever he wanted to say. But to her horror he did not move, and instead continued the conversation in front of the half dozen healers within ear shot. Including Madley, whose smug smile had suddenly returned.

"I reviewed your timesheet and noticed that you were four hours into overtime when Mrs. Potter was brought in. Does this sound accurate?"

"Er – yes, I believe so," she had to think. The events of the night leading up to Euphermia's arrival were still foggy, but she had definitely been at work more than an hour or two past her shift had officially ended.

"Working overtime is a recipe for mistakes, and making mistakes within healthcare makes the difference between life and death. You understand that your lack of judgement on the matter is completely irresponsible, don't you?"

"Excuse me?" Marlene felt dumbfounded. "I was covering your shift. You knew I was staying the extra hours."

"That is neither here nor there," he said dismissively. Marlene could feel the other healer's eyes on her and Natasha's not so subtle snickering to her right. "I am afraid your competency was hindered by your poor judgement and you were in no such state of mind to be administering treatment. We will be lucky if Mr. Potter does not press for an inquiry."

"You're kidding right?" Marlene let out a laugh of disbelief, uncertain if he was truly being serious or not. She expected that there might be repercussions from missing a couple of scheduled shifts, but never in her wildest imagination did she believe that she would be punished for physically being present at the scene.

"I don't find anything humorous about this Marlene," he frowned and suddenly all Marlene could see was red.

"Neither do I," she snapped back at him with such ferocity that he flinched. "So what exactly are you getting at then?"

"I have spoken with Mathalda and we have agreed that probationary duties – "

"You're seriously going to discipline me for covering your shift when you knew perfectly well that I was maxed out on hours?" she interrupted him with a fury brewing within her like the beginning stages of a stage five hurricane.

"It is not your place to question how I do my job, Marlene. Must I remind you that I am your supervisor?"

"Are you though?" she was both angry and sarcastic as she snipped back at him. She knew that she was beginning to tread on dangerous ground, but she didn't really care all that much. Her question wiped whatever smugness from Clavens face he had previously held.

"I would hate to add insubordination and lack of respect for your superiors to the infractions with your record, Marlene," he threatened dangerously. "I highly suggest you watch your tone otherwise I will be forced to recommend removal from the program."

Marlene let out a sharp laugh.

"Don't bother. I'll save you the trouble of filling out more paperwork," Marlene tossed the clipboard onto the desk, causing the contents within its path to go sliding around all over the counter and onto the floor. She turned on her heel, ignoring him as he called out after her.

"This conversation isn't over!" he yelled, but Marlene dutifully continued forward on her way out of the wing. The conversation was most certainly over.

It was a bold and rash decision on her part, and logically she should have taken more time to contemplate the seriousness of her actions. But as she thrust the doors open to meet the crisp spring air that was blowing down the London street, she couldn't imagine any decision being better. She had mentally quit the program a long time ago, and for the first time in a long while did she finally feel free of the heaviness that had burdened her shoulders.

For so long she had felt hopeless and lost. And with her boldness came a surge of something that stirred within her, taking firm grasp and reaffirming her sense of purpose.

As she walked the bustling street she contemplated her life. She did not have a job or school and had no idea where she would end up in the future. She had no boyfriend, or at least not one that was currently available to love her – whatever that meant. She couldn't turn to her best friend because she was grieving for her dead parents, and her husband blamed Marlene for his own mother's death. Remus's words briefly rang through her ears: you are not alone, Marlene McKinnon.

But she silently laughed. Of course she was. The only thing Marlene felt she truly had left was herself. And her promise to Dumbledore.

She took her time walking home; she wanted to capture the moment in its entirety. She enjoyed listening to the chatter of the happy people out strolling in her midst. Their smiles spoke of false hope or complete obliviousness to the uncertainties awaiting them in the coming months. The smell of the bakery she passed by filled the air with a rich aroma of cinnamon and she made a mental note to remember how sweet and pleasant it was for when times seemed grim.  She would need the pleasant feelings to remind herself later on in moments of doubt exactly why she had made the decision to let go.

Emmeline wasn't home when she got back to the flat. At first Marlene wasn't entirely certain how she would actually get a hold of Dumbledore, but she settled on sending a patronus message with the hopes it would relay her urgent message.

Fancy a drink?

Her patronus, a swift and agile fox, swished majestically through the air and out of sight to relay her request to the headmaster. She did not need to wait long; a phoenix, flaming and regal, brought his eager reply.

Fire whiskey sounds sublime.