28*Thirteen Flowers

His sister had been right, again. Talking to Benji had provided him with the answers to all his questions.

"Her last name is Swift," Benji had said. "She lives in Ed's old house, on 89th Street." Benji hadn't even questioned Adam's need for this knowledge, had just answered, almost intuitively. His best friend wanted to know where someone lived, so he told him. It was no surprise to Adam that Benji knew facts about Taylor. Like his sister had said, Benji always knows what's happening in their small town.

So, Adam had rushed to his motorcycle, gripping the thirteen flowers he'd carefully selected for their beauty in his right hand, against the handlebar. By the time he was heading out, there were only a couple dozen cars left in the lot and he had no trouble getting out quickly.

Getting to her house had been easy, considering he'd been friends with Ed since middle school. Until last year, when Adam dropped pretty much everyone in his life. Ed had moved away sometime in the period from then to now.

He spots the pale blue house down the street and parks his Honda, concealing himself and his motorcycle behind some privacy hedges before hopping off it. He's struggling to decide which window might be hers, when a soft flutter of fabric catches his eye. Squinting, he peers through the glass and sees her, laying face up on her bed. Her eyes are focused on the ceiling, deep in thought. It's the perfect time to execute the next step of his plan.

Adam picks the longest piece of grass he can find, using it to tie the flower stems together after lining them up. He quiets his breathing, and moves toward the house. He squats the entire way, not wanting to be seen and ruin the element of surprise. After placing the bouquet atop the dirt, he takes a moment to peak over the windowsill.

Now, up close, he can take in details. Her brow is slightly furrowed, top teeth pulling the edge of her bottom lip. She's still wearing her dress, so she must've gotten home not too long ago. He reluctantly pulls his gaze from her, aiming for her room. The walls are bare, a boring shade of white. Boxes litter her floors, and he knows she was speaking truthfully when she said she was new to town.

He hears her sigh, so he snaps his attention back to her. Adam gives her one more long study, before carefully moving away from the window and retreating to the bushes. A few seconds after he arrives, he sees Taylor get up, heading straight for her window.

She kneels, pushing the window open more.

She closes her eyes.

After a few moments, her eyes fly open.