By your side

Maki and Kaito had been dating for almost 10 months. No killing game au but they're friends(ish) with the other students. Fluff and angst!
Kaito's pov
Maki roll was sitting in bed reading her book and occasionally glancing up at me while I looked through a small telescope. "The sky looks beautiful tonight Maki roll." I said looking over at her. She nodded and murmured a little 'mmhm' without looking up at her book before I added "just like you." Her head was soon buried in her book as she tried to hide her cute blushing face. I loved it when she blushed. She's just incredible whatever she does.

I walked away from the window and got into the bed beside her. Maki roll had a bedside lamp on her side and so did I. I turned mine off and lay looking at her stunning face. Her crimson eyes darted from one side to the other while she read with a concentrated look. She had taken her hair out of her two ponytails and it lay on her shoulders and fell onto the bed. I could stare at her for hours on end.

"Hey Maki roll it's getting kinda late. Wanna settle down?" I asked, brushing a strand of loose hair behind her ear. She put her book mark in- it was a holographic galaxy one I gave her- and placed her book onto the bedside table. She snuggled down under the covers and smiled at me. How is this woman so perfect? "Goodnight Kaito." She said before kissing me gently with her soft lips, "Sweet dreams." She then turned and switched off her lamp.

Halfway through the night however, I began to worry.

Fast and sporadic breathing was coming from beside me. Maki roll? Whenever she had a nightmare, she could usually snap herself out of it but tonight it was the worst she has had I guess.

Maki's pov
His voice was shallow and full of malice when he spoke. "Luminary of the stars!? Oh my god you have to be kidding me!" He called out. I knew who he was and I stared out unable to move. An indescribable force was weighing me down and I couldn't save him. Kaito.
Kaito laying on the ground.
Kaito trying to not show his fear.
Kaito with bruises.
Kaito coughing up blood.
Kaito.
Kaito I can't save.
He couldn't lift his head for Kokichi's foot was almost crushing down on him. "M-maki roll... do-on't worry-y about... m-me! Ple-ease save y-you-rself!" Kaito stammered as blood came after every word. "Aww. Maki can't be the hero anymore!Pathetic"
Pathetic.
It rang through my head on repeat like a broken record.
"Maki roll."
"Maki roll wake up!"
"Hey baby you're fine ok please you gotta help me here" I was woken up by someone calling for me. It was calming and sweet. I knew who it was.

My eyes snapped open to a familiar face looking into my eyes. Kaito was safe and I almost lost him to my own mind. "H-hey Maki roll are you ok? You were shaking." He said wiping away my tears. I didn't say anything except I buried my head into his chest. I felt his arms around me. He was warm and comforting. Even just his scent of worn out cologne made me feel safe. I felt so protected with him. His stupid but cute goatee lay on my head for a while before I could feel his head resting on mine. He whispered sweet nothings to me and it sent me off to sleep with his cute and caring voice.

He made me feel safe and being with him was a beautiful feeling.