Part 1.

The sunlight that shined through the curtains hit me right in the face. I hated waking up and realizing that I had forgotten to close the curtains. I sighed and decided to get out of bed. Nothing was worse than staying in bed and realizing that you weren’t going to be able to sleep again, just lying there, worrying, hoping that maybe, if you’d try hard enough, you’d get some sleep. Something that almost never happened.

I got out of my room and almost bumped into someone only dressed in boxers.  “’Morning, Ly.” John grinned while he put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me back into my room so he could pass. I quickly got back in the room and took one of my oversized sweaters. I forgot I was only wearing underwear. Well, I remembered that, I just forgot that I wasn’t living alone here.

I went to the kitchen and caught John there with his guitar on his lap, and a cup of coffee in front of him on the kitchen table. John looked up and grinned. “What are you doing up so early?” he asked curiously. I smiled while I walked up to the fridge and took the milk carton out of it. “I can ask you the same thing, can’t I?” John turned his head around and chuckled. “Yeah, you’re right. I had some inspiration, and I left my guitar here last night.” I put some milk in a glass, realizing that the carton was almost empty, and just drank the last bit from the carton. “Miss Wolters,” John said smiling slightly. “Could you please remember that you’re not at your place, but at mine.” I felt my cheeks turning a little red, and then laughed. “I’m sorry, I’ll try to remember.” John laughed too. He constantly pulled these kinds of jokes off since I stayed at his place in New York. I didn’t live far from John, and that’s why he had invited me to stay with him while my appartment was being renovated.

“It’s ok, for this one time. Could you now please tell me why you’re already up?” I pulled a chair back and sat down next to him. “Forgot to close the curtains again.” John burst into laughter. “That’s the third time this week!”

I shrugged. I knew that, no need to point it out. “What time is it anyway?” I asked. John looked at his iPhone. “Almost seven.” I shrugged. I could’ve slept for three more hours. John chuckled. “You’re not really a morning kind of person, are you?” I laughed. “You hadn’t noticed yet?” We sat there, smiling stupidly, both too tired to say anything. But there was no need to say anything. This comfort surrounded us, and so we kept sitting there in silence. After a few minutes I asked: “Where did you’re inspiration go?” John looked up from his thoughts. “I’m not sure, you made me smile too much. I wanted to write something heartbreaking, but I lost it, I guess.” He looked at me with this intensity that made me feel a little uncomfortable. Not really like I felt unwelcome, but he did make me blush. “Maybe I should go back to my room and let you be alone for a…” But he didn’t let me finish my sentence. “Of course not, maybe I can write something much happier now.” He stared again at me with these dark brown eyes. The little light that fell into the kitchen made his eyes almost look black, but if I wasn’t mistaking, I saw some kind of curiosity in them. My cheeks turned even redder, and I quickly focused on drinking some of my milk, hoping that he wouldn’t notice my red cheeks.

A few hours later I sat down on the couch. I watched some TV, but didn’t really notice what was happening. My thoughts were somewhere else. I heard the door open and close again, and a few seconds later John stood in front of me. “It’s your turn to cook.” I said disapprovingly, looking at the invisible ingredients he had not bought. He smiled his signature smile, when half his mouth smiled, and the other didn’t. He looked very… sexy. I sighed and shook my head almost unnoticeable. “I know.” he said. “But I’m not in a cooking mood. So I thought: let’s order some food. We’ll pretend I’ve cooked, then.” I couldn’t help but smiled back. “That’s cheating, you know.” He smiled widely. “Oh, I know.”