Part 5.

It took him twenty minutes, but I decided to not be a pain in the ass, and act like he wasn’t five minutes late at all. He walked in with plastic bags full of baguettes, croissants, Nutella, strawberries and everything I could have possibly wanted to eat. “You see,” I said while we put everything on the kitchen table. “This is why I’m friends with you; you got enough money to buy me lots of food.” He smiled at me. “I guess it’s a good thing that I got a lot of money, then.” I nodded while I sat down. “Especially because I’m very hungry.” I answered while getting myself a piece of bread and buttered it. I concentrated on opening the jar of Nutella and greased the chocolate spread on my piece of bread. I first took a bite of the French bread and then one of a strawberry. When I finally looked up I noticed John looking at me. He seemed to be thinking of something. “What are you thinking of?” I asked him frankly. He seemed to wake up from his thoughts. I couldn’t help but ask myself if I played any part in his thoughts. Not that if I was he was going to tell me, but still. “Not much.” he answered smiling. I guess I wasn’t supposed to  know, so I didn’t insist. He didn’t seem worried, so I didn’t think I had anything to bother about. But apparently, I did.

It was that afternoon that he got a phone call that lit up his whole day and brought a cloud over mine. I didn’t hear his conversation, since I was in my room and he was in his, but I did hear him laughing a lot and talking animatedly. A few seconds after he hung up he knocked on my door. “Can I come in?” At that exact moment the phone call didn’t bother me. Yet. It was later that I realized that that was the one factor that ruined my day. I was pretty happy with myself for having slept in John’s bed and for having the kind of relationship we were having now, whatever that exactly was. What I’m trying to say is that I just didn’t see this coming. At all.

“Come in.” I answered good humored while I folded my clothes and put them in the closet. I looked up when he opened the door. He pulled off an out-of-bed-look: his hair messy, but his clothes well combined. He looked, and I almost hit myself in the face for even letting myself think the word, sexy. He looked incredibly sexy. “Hi, Ly. I just came by to tell you that you don’t have to cook for me tonight. I won’t be eating at home.” I nodded distracted. His look had taken me off guard. “Do you have a meeting?” I asked, trying to focus on the subject. He answered smiling wide: “Kind of. I got a date.”

I was so high up with my head in the clouds that I didn’t even notice the evil word at first.

“A date?” I asked. When I said it the word sank in. A date? With a girl? He nodded, smiling. “With who?” Still smiling, he answered: “Emma. I met her a few days ago while walking through the city.” I nodded, not knowing what to say. I felt suddenly very warm. “Well, have fun.” I said, faking a smile. He came over to me, gave me a kiss on my cheek and said: “Thanks.” Then he turned around and left. I decided to break down when I was sure he left, so when I heard the door slamming I sat down at the foot of the bed. I didn’t feel like crying. That would just be plain stupid. I didn’t have any kind of feelings for him until yesterday. I composed myself and decided to lie down for a while. I didn’t feel like doing anything and I wanted to sleep but I probably slept so good last night, in John’s arms, that it felt impossible to close my eyes and drift away. My cheek wouldn’t stop burning at the place that his lips touched my skin. I couldn’t seem to forget how happy he looked when he said her name. I already didn’t like the girl. When I thought it through I realized I had not a single reason to be mad at her.  That Emma was just very lucky. I groaned and put my pillow over my head. Then I groaned some more.