Chapter 3

Kasaundra Winters

      Mornings. I fucking hated them, you gotta wake up, take a shower, brush your teeth, wash your face, remember to eat breakfast, and the worst of all be on time to a job. That didn't appreciate you, even if you were the toilet paper they wiped their asses with.

     Sitting on my couch watching the news, I angrily bit my lip. Will they just cut this shit out? Nobody cares about the Kardashians. Okay maybe I'm in love with Kim and Kendall, but it'd be nice to actually not boast their egos above the heaven sent level that it's already at sometimes.

       "Why won't they put the real stuff on, and not about these celebrities?"

      "Hum, because Kassaundra you're watching E! News. Not the 'real' news you idiot, give me that." Snatching the remote out of my hand, Mason turned the tv off. Swatting away at him like he were a nuisance, he stood already in his suit and tie ready to tackle on this already annoying day. "You need to get ready for work Lawyer K."

    "More like lawyer nay, I'm never getting a decent case, I'm just stuck with the stupid, 'He scratched my car I'm going to sue him' cases. They all think of me as a joke." Sighing, I pulled my hair out of its messy wet bun. Dragging myself off of my comfy couch, I trotted into my bedroom, stripping down and throwing on the outfit I picked out the night before. Mason laughed at my grouchiness, loud and life filled.

   "Wouldn't hurt to plant a smile on that face of yours Kassie."

    "Ha, if only you knew. If only you knew."

   Despite my unhappiness right now, he made me smile. Like he always did.

     The typical older brother best friend, and little sister relationship. Only my brother is dead, and his wife is dead. Buddy buddy, best friends for life. Not exactly. We just emotionally have been relying on each other, and though he keeps most of his personal life to himself, I know Mason well enough to know when he's hiding something.

     Refusing to make it obvious that I know I just played along, the only reason why I couldn't get to the real news channels was because he blocked them after two days he got discharged from the hospital. Due to the fact that he was shot, kidnapped, beat up. And just absolutely awful.

      "Then why don't you go somewhere where you'll be appreciated, there's no reason why you still work for a place that never sees how hard you work. Maybe you should quit your day job and work at a strip club. Make more cash that way."

      Taking a sip from his coffee mug like he didn't say anything of any offense, Mason glared anxiously as I walked out of my room fully dressed to kill.

        "Hot damn look at you, I'm
Sure you'll earn that promotion looking like that!"

      Grabbing a pair of gold trimmed shades to compliment the black dress I was wearing, and ruby red heels I looped my car keys on my finger. Clicking my teeth with my tongue, I shoved past my friend.