Chapter 11

Klein

I watched his movies over and over again, but even though he was walking, and talking, laughing, smiling

I watched his movies over and over again, but even though he was walking, and talking, laughing, smiling. He wasn't here, he wasn't real, he was pretending to be somebody else, he wasn't my Dayton, he was Dayton Lang.

     Dayton Masthers was killed, and Dayton Lang will continue to live in those movies, those tv shows, and all of those basketball games. Posters, collectibles, he left a legacy.

     And all I'm left with is the thought of him. I had my brother, I had him for the first time in years, but I lost him. Mason was right when he said this was my fault. All of this is my fault, but I'm going to set things right. I had to.

      Keeping my eye on Mason, I smiled. "You know my favorite show to watch as a kid officer Velez, was The Justice League. I liked the Martian Man Hunter more than anyone else. He was different, he was more of a shadow to the big guys. You know Batman, Superman, Green Lantern."

    "What's your point?" He darted out annoyed. Intrigued I kept pushing.

     "Well I think we've got off on the wrong foot. You think I'm a monster and I just think you're irrelevant. You're obviously not well liked by anyone in this van. And I'm attempting to try and reconcile, I came off a bit rude, you know trying to bite you and all. About that breath joke though, I meant 98.9 percent of it, but I'm sure that Mason wouldn't mind giving you a mint or ten."

      Rolling his pale brown eyes, he puffed a breath from his cigarette. "It's inconsiderate to smoke in a closed area, someone could have asthma."

    "Yeah well I hope it's you so you could choke to death. And then for once in your pointless little life you'd shut the hell up." Watching him inhale the sin, I laughed at him. As I imagined that same exact cig falling into the back of his throat and burning his insides through. That'd be a pretty interesting sight

   Ugh, so morbid. Cut it out Klein.

     "Watch it." Mike warned, taking a quick once over of him suited up I nodded. From my Juvy days until now he always had my back, I'd lay down my life a million times, I'd endure a burning volcano if it meant risking my life for his. And I don't expect him to do the same, but he would.

     "Put it out Velez."

"Wined down the gotdamn window."

       "Put out the fucking cigarette."

"Or what are you going to do? Pull over the truck and make me? You and your brother are Klein's little bitches, and it's such a sad sight to see."

      "I suppose it is a good thing to be my bitch, you get good dick, and you're guaranteed a lifetime warranty of my loyalty. Which, trust me officer Velez is great, because I come in handy. I suppose you'll understand what I mean by that in a few. One thing I would like for you to know is, you're not going to make it to that prison. Not alive at least. But they will."