His first love

"Imperial Noble Consort Du has arrived!!!"

Emperor Li Qiangda turns his head to look at a beautiful woman who has just entered the Phoenix Hall. Empress Yan¹ just stands next to the Emperor with her back straight. Xi Yinghua noticed this proud attitude coming from her.

"Chaoran² greets imperial mother-in-law."

Empress Dowager Long smiles as she looks at Empress Yan as she giving her curtsy, "Rise... Please take your seat."

Empress Yan straighten her body before she calmly walks towards the second chair from the left side of the Empress Dowager.

"Qiangda greets imperial mother..."

"This concubine greets Her Majesty."

Empress Dowager Long smoothes the hem of her dress and says, "Huangshang³, I am happy that you are here. Chaoran, I am glad that you are better now."

The expression on Imperial Noble Consort Du's face has become darker when Empress Dowager Long did not acknowledge her at all. Emperor Li gently smiles as he holds onto her arm.

"Beloved concubine, do rise and takes your seat next to the Empress."

Imperial Noble Consort Du Miren⁴ smiles and seductively walks towards the seat next to Empress Yan. This has made Xi Yinghua look down onto her join hands as she smirks. That woman is using her beauty to captivate others. No wonder the Third Prince has fallen in love with her in the first place. Seeing how attentive the Emperor is towards her only confirms that 'fox' is a clever one of course.

"Henxin greets imperial brother and imperial sisters-in-law."

Third Prince Li stands up from his seat and respectfully bows before the Emperor and his consorts. Xi Yinghua follows suits by giving her curtsy and says, "Yinghua greets imperial brother-in-law and imperial sister-in-law. Greeting to Imperial Noble Consort Du."

Emperor Li smiles but he then looks at the Third Prince as if trying to say, "What is wrong with your princess consort?"

But, Third Prince Li blatantly ignores him. It is not that what his wife has just done did not affect him but he never thought that she would act in such a way in front of everyone else.

Imperial Noble Consort Du smiles and says, "Goodness... His Third Royal Highness is so lucky to marry two beautiful women almost at the same time. But, if this concubine is not mistaken... My cousin sister is the first one to enter the wangfu..."

Jing Ruyi stands up to give her courtesy as well, "This humble one greets His Majesty and Her Majesty. Ruyi greets Her Highness."

"Cousin sister, you have done rather well for yourself. The Third Prince is indeed lucky to have you as his beloved concubine."

Xi Yinghua smiles as she calmly sips on her tea, "Imperial mother-in-law, this tea is slightly bitter but with a hint of sweetness. Yinghua finds that it is quite good."

Empress Dowager nods her head in approval, "It is called 'Liu'an Melon Seed Tea'. Your imperial brother-in-law has given it to me."

"As expected, His Majesty is not only filial towards imperial mother-in-law but have quite a good taste as well. Meimei, you can rise now and take your seat."

Emperor Li coughs several times before Empress Yan softly says, "Your Majesty, it seems that you suffers from a dry throat. Drink more tea as it will soothe your throat. Third imperial brother-in-law, your princess consort is indeed interesting. Seems like imperial mother-in-law is quite fond with her as well."

"Imperial sister-in-law, Yinghua is quite bold in manner. Do forgive her is she has somehow offended you."

Empress Yan laughs and continues to say, "I am fine. But, someone might be... Isn't that right, meimei?"

Imperial Noble Consort Du forces herself to smile before answers, "Her Majesty must be joking... Meimei is not offended at all. After all, His Third Royal Highness's princess consort is still not familiar with the rules of the imperial palace. My cousin sister and His Third Royal Highness must have been accommodating with her unruly ways. But, a concubine meant to be a concubine. Ruyi must have been suffering..."

Xi Yinghua slightly slants her head before she clearly says, "Her Highness should not make an assumption on what's what at Yao Wangfu. Her Highness has said, a concubine meant to be a concubine. If Her Majesty has not reprimand me for my bold manner, why should Her Highness thread further than necessary. If I am wrong, imperial mother-in-law can punish me because this is Ren Gong, not Xuehua Gong."

Xi Yinghua turns her head to look at Jing Ruyi who continues to lower her heard ever since the arrival of the Imperial Noble Consort.

"Truth be told, meimei seems to be shaken by your wild accusations. Both of us are living rather harmoniously at Yao Wangfu. There is no need to sow any seed of discord in between us. I am a fair individual, as a woman, I do not wish to treat other women badly. But, that can change if she means to cause me harm."

"Preposterous!!! You are only able to marry His Third Royal Highness due to His Majesty's imperial edict! What are you? You are born by a woman with low status. You're abandoned as well."

Empress Dowager slams her hand on the table in front of her, "Imperial Noble Consort Du!!!"

Xi Yingjua stares the wretched woman and says, "I am maybe the insignificant daughter of the Prime Minister who has been abandoned by her birth mother. Why? Because there are those who put one's status and rank above all others. I may never have the chance to be with her but I understand. She left me with the hope that she will not implicate me. I do not care about power, status and rank. I only care to live a long yet peaceful life. Your Highness, it seems that you've been targeting me from the very beginning..."

Xi Yinghua smiles and says with a slightly mocking tone in her voice, "Why? This princess consort is quite astonished by this fact."

"Wangfei... Do not implicate yourself because of this concubine. Your Highness, please do not take it into your heart. It is this concubine fault."

Third Prince Li then says, "Wangfei, you have said enough."

Xi Yinghua turns her head and says, "If that's what His Royal Highness think then this subject wife agrees. Your Highness, do forgive this humble one. After all, I am just someone born from a low status..."

***

¹ 俨 Majestic, dignified, solemn, distinguished, noble, regal
² 超然 Aloof
³ 皇上 Emperor
⁴ 迷人 Charming

¹ 俨 Majestic, dignified, solemn, distinguished, noble, regal² 超然 Aloof³ 皇上 Emperor⁴ 迷人 Charming