Chapter Thirty Three

Kathryn's POV

Her heels click on the white floor, tormenting my ears. “I can't believe you came so soon!” She claps her hands. “I knew you would come. If I just slowly but surely killed off every person you knew, you would've come.” She crouches in front of me, green eyes blazing, all traces of a brown gone. “See, you're just like your parents. You wouldn't have let another person die for you.” She releases one bark of laughter that sounds like thunder crackling. “Predictable.”

She stands up and runs her hands through her blond hair. She continues to pace in front of me as I sway back and forth against the wall. The monitor beside me beeps, tracking my heart beats. The tube stuck in my wrist continues to flow with thick, yellow liquid that fills up a sealed packet.

“We made a deal, Sophia.” My voice sounds weak and faded. “I give you what you want and you leave them alone.”

She turns to look at me sharply. “I don't go back on my word,” she says venomously.

I find it within me to chuckle. “You told me you'd never hurt Jeff. Look where he is now.”

She crouches and slaps me right across the face. My ears ring as I blink, trying to regain my vision. “Don't speak to me about him!” Her lip quivers. “That was a mistake. A big mistake. That arrow was meant for you! I will never stop regretting it.” She stands up again and rubs her temples. “Mistake,” she mutters. “Mistake.” She grins at me- the beautiful smile that haunted my dreams. “But now I'll rule this country. He'll be proud of me. I know it.” She giggles.

I snort. “Proud? You're holding his niece hostage!”

Her pale face turns red. “You volunteered! You came here with a Markaris!” I didn't even know where 'here' is. The beautiful animal took off immediately after I crawled on it's back. It dropped me on the river and tumbled down with me to the cold, unyielding waters. I was pulled back up by two large men. Saying I was surprised when I saw Sophia's face behind them would've been an understatement.

Her face turns somber. “Poor creature had to die because of you. But don't worry- you'll follow soon.”

Her shape starts to sway back and forth and my stomach lurches. I try to crawl to my knees as I gag but I just heave. I slump back down and close my eyes. I feel Sophia's hand on my hair and I flinch. “It'll be over soon,” she says, patting my head.

I slightly open my eyes to see her sitting next to me. She stares at me with emotionless eyes- her eye the was brown is green again now- Nick's eyes. I close my eyes again as my heart contracts painfully. It'll be over soon- like she said.

I feel her finger poke my cheek and her hair tickling my throat. “You can't be dead yet,” she whispers in my ear, “The packet is only half full!”

“How did you get out of the asylum?” I ask her, my voice barely audible.

She leans back. “We're both very sneaky, aren't we? I sneaked out. With some help, of course.” She snickers.

“Do you know where your son is, Sophia?” I ask, my eyes still closed.

“He's dead,” she spits and I know I pushed one of the many buttons of this unstable woman.

“No, he isn't.” I dare to open my eyes to see her scowling at the wall. “Nicholas? Yeah, your cute little boy? He's grown now and you never got to watch him grow. He's a much better person-”

“Shut up,” she growls.

“He's a much better person than you'll ever be,” I continue. “You thought he will die but he didn't. He's strong-”

She turns to me, her eyes dark with anger. She looks like a hybrid of a mermaid and a snake. “I said shut up.”

“Imagine if you raised him with Jeff. Jeff always wanted a son, remember? He would've been so proud. He would-”

She raises her hand and slaps me so hard that my head bangs on the wall. “ I said shut up!” The ringing returns.

I sink to the floor, my cheek resting on the cold floor. I hear her boots clicking as she paces up and down again. I close my eyes when I begin to see dancing rainbows on the white wall. Everything is so white here. It looks like the walls in at the asylum only bigger and there's no door. I'm in a very uncomfortable position but I don't have the energy to move my body anymore. I shouldn't have wasted my energy taunting Sophia. I should've been singing Gumbaya or something.

The air feels like it's thinning and I need to take deeper breaths.

“Oh yes, it's almost full,” I faintly hear Sophia say- like I'm under water and she's on land.

My brain disengages from my body and I can't feel it anymore. I'm glad there isn't any pain.

I should've told Harry I loved him- that I always will and my love for him will never fade. I should've eased his guilt by telling him that I've forgiven him.

I should've told Nick that I'm sorry for everything- for not loving him enough. For hurting him. For leaving.

I also should've thanked Magnolia. I would've died much later if I had listened to her.

I should've done all these things but I didn't and now it's too late- I already feel myself slipping.

“Would... look at... Friends... for the rescue?” Sophia's voice lowers and rises with volume.

I hear bang and Sophia screams. Not in agony but as if she's frustrated.

Two voices yell my name. Voices I'd know even on my last seconds of life. What are Nick and Harry doing here? No. No. I was protecting them. They shouldn't be here.

I slip further and I finally lose my grip on life.

Blackness.