27/27 - Kids In The Dark

When I got back from work the next day, instead of having to go to his apartment, he was already sitting outside of my door, waiting. When the elevator doors opened, I noticed that his head quickly looked up and he got off of the floor. I smiled at walked over. “Hey.”
   “Can we go out somewhere?” He asked instantly.
   I giggled. “Where?”
   “Anywhere. I don’t mind.”
   I smiled and little. “Okay, I’m just going to change.” I said, taking my apartment key from my pocket. “Wanna come in?”
   He shrugged and nodded. “Sure.”
   As soon as I swung my door open and removed the key, I dropped my bag on the couch. “One second.” I said, running down the hall to my room. Despite trusting him, I locked my door. I swiftly got changed into something warm because it was raining and covered myself in a long raincoat. I thought about my makeup and removed it because it was already a bit smudged from the trek from my car to the building, and it would smudge more.
   When I came out he was waiting on the couch. He looked at me and smiled. “Restaurant?”
   I groaned a little. “Not Grape Yard. I’ve had enough of their food to last a lifetime. You can choose though.”
   “Okay. Do you have internet?” He asked, taking his phone from his pocket.
   I pointed to the small router. “Go ahead.” I said. I sat on the other couch and went on my own phone.
   After five minutes I looked out of the window. “Oy vey.” I mumbled.
   He looked at me, confused. “What’s the matter?”
   “Rain.”
   Following my gaze, he nodded in agreement. “We’ll be inside though.”
   “True. Do you have a raincoat?” I asked, looking at him. He just had a hoodie that water could soak into easily. He shrugged in response. “You should probably get one…”
   “In all honesty I’m not that bothered by rain.”
   “Why, are you a werewolf?”
   He blushed a little and shook his head. “No, no I’m not.” He sounded disappointed. “Though if I was maybe your brother would like me better. No, I just don’t mind the rain.”
   “You’re going to get a cold.” I said, giggling at his joke.
   “I don’t really care.”
   I rose a brow. “It’s not my fault if you’re sick tomorrow.”
   “Fair enough.” He said, putting his phone in his pocket. “Can I ask you something?”
   Nodding, I smile. “Go ahead.”
   He went silent for a bit. “Wait, first, do you like me?”
   “More than a friend?” I asked, blushing. He nodded a little and I looked down at my lap, thinking.
   “Sorry, you don’t have to answer that.” He chuckled from embarrassment and got up. “I found a place we can go. Are you okay with Italian, though?”
   I just smiled and he didn’t talk. I looked up at him. “You like me don’t you?”
   “Is it really that obvious?” He asked shyly.
   I nod and giggled. “Yeah.”
   He blushed too and looked at his feet. “Oh.”
   “I like you too.” I said, smiling sweetly. I did, but I wasn’t about to act all lovey-dovey. He whimpered and it made me giggle more. “Cute.”
   “O-Okay, let’s just go!” He said, rushing to the door. I followed, laughing. There were times when he would be able to take flirting and smile, times where he wouldn’t realize it was flirting at all and then times when he was flustered and just whimper in response. Whichever way, it was cute.
   While we were waiting for the elevator, I removed my hands from my pockets and held his. He blushed more. “I love you.” I said honestly.
   “I love you too.” He mumbled, almost a whisper. I giggled more and kissed his cheek. He looked at me so I ended up kissing his lips.
   We stared with surprised faces. His eyes were a beautiful black and I noticed that he had a small stress mark on his cheek, however I didn’t point it out. I knew it was from grief. We were interrupted by the elevator dinging and the doors opening. We smiled at each other and he leaned forward to kiss me in return. I followed him inside, but then clutched his arm and stared up into his eyes. He did it again and smiled more.
   “What was the other thing that you wanted to ask?” I said when he pulled away.
   “Oh. Uh…” He trailed off, staring straight ahead. “D-Do you want to start dating instead of going out as friends..?”
   I smiled and looked at his flustered face. “You’re asking if I want to be your girlfriend?”
   “Well, yeah…”
   I giggle again. “Sure. But Alexander goes with us whenever possible on dates.”
   “Fine…” He rolled his eyes a little but smiled happily anyway.
   “I’m dating you for your dog.” I tease, though it was clearly a lie. Then we said nothing.
   “I’ll be an orphan before you know it.” I said to break the silence. “Then we’ll have something more in common.”
   “Yeah…” He looked at the doors as they closed. He then snickered. “That should be a movie or a song. It’d be a cool novel, too. It’d be called The Kids in the Dark, or something.” He joked.