A Prince In Exile Here In Hell

I decided to get dressed for the day, even though I wanted to be lazy and do nothing but watch TV and paint. There was nothing but silence between the two of us, but I really didn't want to invite conversation where it wasn't needed. I still have my itching concern for Pelle, but he seemed to ignore those thoughts and focused on the book I let him read. There was a slim chance he would want me to bring it up with him or even have a mention of it again. This was something I couldn't ignore for every long, but I decided I would meet Jorn just to see what kind of person he was and how he would react to Pelle being here. I tried to image what I would say to them if they got angry with Pelle or maybe Pelle would defend himself. Having these thoughts made more uncomfortable and I was hoping that there wouldn't be an alteration of any kind.

It's been over an hour and they still haven't shown up, so my guess is they may have gotten lost or just live out of town. Pelle seemed to relax to the point where he was starting to fall asleep, but was determined to finish the book. I was focused on my sketch pad, pretending to draw things around the room when in all reality it was him I was drawing. He was still so it was easy to draw him even though I had a feeling he knew what I was doing.

"Why did you decide to become a journalist?"

Out of nowhere, a question was tossed my way, even thought I had no proper way of answering it. I sometimes wonder myself why I decided a career path that I saw more as a hobby. Sure, Art was my strong suit, but writing was something I had a passion for even though I felt that it was bringing misery to me. I had practiced every line, every sentence, and every paragraph just to get the right story and have other's see it my way. I knew the real reason behind this choice, but I didn't want to tell Pelle that side of my life. I didn't care if he judged me or even scoffed about the idea, but that was too personal for anyone to know.

"It was just a whim I had growing up." I said. "More of the fact I enjoy writing."

"It's that the honest answer?" He looked up from reading. "I feel there is more to it."

I caught his gaze as if he was trying to see if I would give him a reaction that knew I was lying about my purpose. No one was good at guessing how I felt or what I was thinking about most of the time. That's what caused me to be branded a threat by other competitors in the business because they could never read me. They only made uneducated guesses or assumptions that would only irritate me and cause me to correct them. Of course, no one likes having their intelligence or character insulted, but it was easy for me and made them back off me.

"I'll tell you the actual truth if you give me an interview."

The words flowed out so casually that Pelle seemed surprised for a second before going back to his stoic ways. His expressions weren't easy to read, but I knew he could express himself in a way that would make me comfortable. I knew he didn't trust me or maybe it was because he didn't feel the need to trust me. I could tell he's been burned once before, maybe multiple times under circumstances I couldn't understand. He seemed to think for a moment, considering if my moment of truth was even worth his time and effort.

"I might consider it." He said. "However, if I do agree to it, I want you to keep certain things to yourself."

"Sounds fair, I expect you do that same for me." I placed the sketch pad on my lap." There are things I don't want to be repeated either."

Pelle nodded in agreement, understanding and respecting my wishes since he knew a few things about secrecy. I really had nothing else to say and would figure a time frame for the both of us to conduct the interview. He went back to reading the book, flipping through the pages, probably looking at the pictures that were drawn. I have never seen anyone fascinated with Wendigo's since whatever I said that was informational was dismissed. I decided that maybe I would surround myself with people who were more in tune with what I had to say, but then there were those people trying to summon the creature. Then I made the final decision to avoid people altogether and keep these things to myself.