Chapter 27: Welcome Home

"Hot dogs and accessories?"

"Check and check."

"Sleeping bags?"

"Check."

"Air mattress?"

"Check."

"Marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers?"

"Triple check."

"Baby supplies?"

"Lots of checks."

McKenzie shoved the supplies into the trunk of the rental, silver Range Rover as Ashley listed them off. Three-month-old Gabby sat in her baby carrier on the ground by her mother's feet, reaching out every time something was picked up as if wanting to help pack up for the camping trip. Every time McKenzie bent down she would poke the little girl on the nose, making a boop noise while doing so, and causing the baby to let out a belly laugh. The proud mother would smile in response and toss the next item on the list into the car, ready for the next thing to be spoken by Ashley.

"And last, but not least, a tent."

"Tent for five, check."

She tossed the box holding her home for the next night into the car and then clapped her hands with each other as if dusting something off of them. Ashley put the list in the back pocket of her light wash skinny jeans for later use and looked back at the lake house. She was proud of her choice: a home built in the 1800s right on the lake but with plenty of land. Of course, it was a bit run down, but that didn't bother her considering how old it was. Besides, this trip was for McKenzie and the more activities she could find at the house the better. There was a tennis court that had been used the previous day, a dock where McKenzie had yet to fish despite having brought a fishing pole because she refused to touch a worm, and a croquet set up. Right down the road was a little town filled with boutiques restaurants, and just a bit farther was a Marina with a beautiful view of the water. Maybe they would rent a boat one of the days. Another could be spent on one of the four beaches in the area. Another could be spent shopping. But today was going to be spent at a camp site.

"Do you know where Barbie and Maryse are?" McKenzie asked while playing with Gabby.

"No idea. You know how long they take to get ready."

"Yeah, I learned that yesterday when I got breakfast at two."

"The wait didn't help either, Kenz. You neglected to warn us that the place you were taking us was one of the landmarks for the area."

"You tell me the last time you ate breakfast at a place with real live goats on the roof and then you can complain."

Ashley laughed and leaned against the car, crossing her arms over her chest as she did so. McKenzie seemed quite content with waiting, but Ashley wished that the other two friends would hurry up. They had worked so hard to plan this trip for McKenzie's welcome home and then everything ended up getting delayed because of "beauty time." Eventually, she uncrossed her arms, put her pinky and pointer finger in her mouth, and whistled loud enough where some ducks took off from their place in the nearby water.

"We're coming! We're coming!"

Maryse and Barbie ran down the porch steps, Michael Kors bags in hand and Ray Ban sunglasses on. To top it all off, they were both in Free People maxi dresses. They looked like Beverly Hills tries to go Duck Dynasty, which was what they were, of course. Outdoors had never been their thing.

McKenzie and Ashley, dressed in flannel shirts, denim bottoms, and combat boots looked at the blonde friends like they were insane. Even Gabby had gone quiet pulling at her mini flannel and kicking her cowgirl-boot-covered feet.