Chapter Five

Damen's thin legs strolled up the long staircase lazily and I watched in amusement as his body,consumed by sleepiness since it was so late into the night,struggled to keep balance as he steadied himself by holding onto the railing along the staircase.As soon as his figure disappeared into the dimly lit upper level of my home I went back to cleaning the smooth surface of my kitchen counters,shutting my doors and windows and switching off the television that had been left on for hours due to Damen and I staring at it for so long.For a good while we had been occupying ourselves by watching ridiculous realtiy shows just for the hell of it.

Finally I had finished cleaning the wasted cake batter from my kitchen counters and I disposed of the napkins,washed my hands and proceeded towards the dining table which my silver laptop was placed on.For a few minutes I scrolled around on the social media site,replied to some of my fans and then uploaded pictures from backstage of my recent concert abroad.It only took a few minutes for my eyelids to stop drooping again,just like they had done before Damen had arriven on my doorstep.

I scooped the heavy laptop into my thin arms and attempted to walk up the staircase probably,since the long charger was still hanging from my laptop.I tried my best to not stumble over the black chord and finally reached the second level of my house,placed the laptop onto the coffee table and quietly tip-toed towards one of the guest bedrooms that I was certain Damen was staying in.Despite my requests to come sleep in my bed like he did as a younger child, he always slept in the guest bedroom that he had found more comfortable and turned into his over the few years that I had owned the house.

"Damen?"I asked,momentarily popping into the bedroom and squinting because of the shine of the bright lights.

My pursed lips transformed into an unusual,dreamy smile when I caught sight of my brother's stiff figure on the centre of the queen sized bed.He was in his usual sleeping position,turned onto his flat stomach and his long hands stuffed under the soft pillows.Seeing him in such a position made me remember how different he slept when he was a younger child,with his little arms wrapped around me and his lips parted,letting out steady,peaceful breaths.It would take a good while for me to accept that the little boy I had raised was growing up so quickly,then again it made me feel older,much older.

I turned on my heels,switched the lights off on my way out and shut the door quietly behind me,fearing that I would wake Damen from his peaceful slumber since he was such a light sleeper like my older brother.I took the laptop in my palms once again and glided across the carpetted floor and into the large bedroom,not too far from the one that I had just exited a few seconds ago.After turning off my lights I was sprawled across the bed in an unlady like manner,not that I even cared to fix my position.

I propped my head on the two pillows and placed the laptop on my stomach,inserting my earphones into the tiny hole and plugging them into my ears.Within seconds music was playing on my laptop and the previous dreamy smile had returned when I noticed the lyrics of my idol errupting from the small speakers of earphones.A giddy feeling washed over me as I chuckled softly at some of his funny lyrics and admired the music that had inspired and amused me for so many years.Those fictional yet happy butterflies escaped when I heard his rough voice,it still flustered me how much he could make me smile even though I had never met him,despite being famous for several years.

When my eyelids started to droop again I pulled out my earphones,immediately missing the sound of Eminem's voice.Before I could even place the laptop onto the bedside table like I usually did I caught sight of the blinking on the corner of the screen and clicked on the icon.A list of e-mails quickly projected across the screen and I smiled when I noticed that one was from my good friend.I didn't even have to think twice before opening the e-mail which had been sent about three hours ago by Royce.