Prom Night

All through RCS community, every senior was getting ready for prom. It was supposed to be immaculate this year. The student government really went all out this time. They picked out prom each year and where it was going to be held, what the theme was going to be, what type of cuisine was going to be there, and drinks with decorations.

This year, it was being held on the Dutch Apple boat. Me, Rose, and Joey planned on going together to have fun and waited months for this event. The night was finally upon us. I told Joey to meet me at my house to pick me up and that we should go to the dance and have fun, make up, and get back together. I apologized. Instead, he ignored me. He never ignores me.

A half hour went by, and he still never responded. Then, exactly eight minutes later, I got a text from him. He said he'd be right over to pick me up. I continued getting ready. Twenty minutes went by and my night still wasn't going as I planned. Joey still didn't show. He was usually here in twenty minutes. I tried to call him. No answer. I screamed with aggravation.

Something made me suspicious, as I never had to wait this long for him. He was always on time. I walked out to my car and started to drive to his house. On the way there, I never even passed his car on the road. A wave of nausea started flowing through me. I didn't care. I ended up getting a horrid feeling in my gut.

When I arrived at Joey's, his car was still in the driveway. The clouds were gloomy and there was a chill in the air. Or was that last part just me? A scream sounded from the woods behind Joey's house. It was him!

"I recognize that scream anywhere." I whispered with fear.

Paralyzed, I knew I had to move and go check out what was happening. I ran through the woods in search of him. It wasn't long before I came to a dilapidated cabin that looked abandoned.

"Stop!" I heard him say.

Without hesitation, I ran inside and what my eyes met with, truly broke my heart. Rose was feeling Joey up and kissing him. He pulled away and kept yelling at her to stop, but she kept proceeding.

"What the fuck are you doing?" He shouted.

A sudden shift occurred. As if she compelled him, he started kissing her back. Anger grew heavily inside me. I studied Joey and Rose's actions. I knew he was compelled because I knew Rose wasn't who she made herself out to be. Just as I was about to lunge at her, someone grabbed me from the back of my shoulders and put a hand over my mouth. Dragging me outside, I could see it was a girl. I pried her hands off of me as we stood and stared at each other face to face.

The girl had long, straight, blonde hair. She was looking to be about five foot three, and her eye color was a pale green.

"Come with me." She whispered.

"Are you nuts? Who are you?"

"Stop asking, just follow!" She whispered sternly.

"But my boyfriend's in danger!"

"Shhhh! The demon will hear us."

The girl pulled me down as we sat behind the cabin under a musty, flimsy, back porch that looked as if it were about to tumble down and crush us. A scent of abandonment travelled up my nostrils.

"Who are you?" I exclaimed; sweating with anxiety to save my boyfriend.

"My name is Anita Lesnicki; and I know what your dealing with because I've delt with the same thing. I've been watching you and...your friend for a few days. Believe it or not, this town used to be called "Devils Kettle". A flood broke out as the Hudson River and a dam located near the school, flooded just about the entire town. We had to build a new town on top of the old one. Your best friend is no longer your best friend. It's just a demon inhabiting her body. Some band did the same thing to me. They were known as "Low Shoulder". They tried to become popular by sacrificing my best friend Jennifer. But they messed with the wrong girl because after Jennifer bit me while I was battling her, I went to prison, but I broke out  and went off to murder that band."