xiii. snow angels

▪♡
roadside flowers.
chapter 13: birthday candles
--

"are you sure you have everything with you?" eniko asks as i tie the laces of my white sneakers.

i nod at her.

"are you a hundred percent sure you have everything with you?"

i level with eniko, my sneakers giving me a greater height advantage. "i'm sure," i tell her. "thanks, sis and thank you for the honeyed lemons, mai."

mai smiles at me. "sure!" she turns to aichi who's still in the middle of tying his shoelaces. "aichi, if you want honeyed lemons, i gave teru two tupperwares."

"yeah, thanks mai," aichiro replies, i contemplate in waiting for him or just going on ahead. i imagine that the walk to school would be unpleasant if i ever take it with him, so i end up choosing the latter option.

"i'll be going now," i bade to my sisters, but eniko disagrees.

"aichiro can just join you." she says it so casually and then it hits me. eniko has more or less been absent from this household so of course her knowledge on the intensity of our quarrel isn't on par with mai's. speaking of mai, my little sister has taken to looking at her side and whistling some nursery rhyme off tune.

"it's okay," aichiro answers her. "teruko can just go on ahead. i'm going to have a detour somewhere along the way."

"then just take teruko in your detour, it won't take long anyway," eniko answers with her usual ineluctable tone of voice. one hint of defiance when she uses that tone, she'll cut you mercilessly. someone would have to be really brave or stupid to try.

aichiro is either really brave or stupid. "it's an inconvenience," he says with a challenging tone, a line appearing between his brows. "to both of us. teruko can walk to school by herself. stop deciding by yourself, eniko. you only came home now."

"what was that, aichiro?" eniko asks with a perfect eyebrow raised and i shiver in spot. or maybe it's just the snow falling outside.

"you heard what i said eniko," aichiro repeats and his tone is still menacing. "just because-"

"isn't that kageyama tobio from next door?!" mai cuts off with a voice that reaches tobio-kun who's also on his way to school. "doesn't he also go to karasuno, teru?" mai jumps toward me and i only have enough time to grab my belongings before she pushes me past our open gates and toward his direction. "just walk with him, teru, bye!"

"what's wrong with your sister?" tobio-kun asks me after he helps me steady myself. mai had pushed too hard and i almost fell face first on the snow kissed pavement.

"m-mai's just really excited for me," i answer, my eyes trained on his hand holding mine. "winter cup is happening and all."

he hums in acknowledgment and lets go of my hand. i try not to let the disappointment surface. somehow, my worries regarding eniko and aichiro's impending fight has been assuaged what with mai providing a solution and an escape for me.

"the snow really piled up, didn't it?" i ask, putting on my gloves as i inspect the snow kissed place laid out in front of me. from trash cans to street lights, and branches where icicles hung and shatter the sunlight to thousands of pieces.

"are you cold?" tobio-kun asks.

i shake my head and open my palms, catching some of the snowflakes beginning to descend into the ground. they melt on the gloves leaving a slightly darker shade of the comfy fabric. "it's just that... all the snow reminds me of a lot of things."