Chapter Two

He was merry

He made us smile along

Whilst we were upset and dreary

His laugh was like a candle

It was well while it lasted

This chapter will be under HEAVY editing

Sylvester sat down on an oversized toadstool, arms and legs crossed. "Yes, three hundred years. And you don't remember half of it," he spat, his tone tough and eyes shut.

"You see, milady, time moves in the strangest ways. I'd say, especially when you are wiped of all your memories."

I blinked quickly, trying to take in this information, but obviously failing. He stood back up, pulling his mask down enough for me to see his mouth. Getting menacingly close, he said," I know everything about you, milady, but I'll clear this up and say that you hardly know yourself at all."

He hid his face once more and continued," Let's get going then."

We walked for twenty minutes, and a new question occurred to me. I was definitely full of questions, but these struck me as some of the more obvious ones Why had I not thought of that before. "Why are people looking for me? And why do you guys, of all people, want to bring me to 'my grandfather'? Are you just another one of the people looking to kidnap me? Use me?"

"A war between humans, spirits, and magicians has begun. We're simply doing what will stop the war in our favor", said Akin from behind me, "Now lower your head before you hit that thorn."

I turned to look ahead of me, a thorn the size of my head only inches from my nose. I gasped and went around it, getting much closer than what Sylvester was comfortable with. He made this clear by taking a step to the side without me even noticing. It was as if he faded in and out of thin air just as Akin had done so before.

"Okay so...my other questions- You didn't answer them", I stated.

Sylvester broke into the conversation, "We're bringing you back because we owed King. In no way whatsoever does this benefit us."

"Indeed. We were simply watching over you because King isn't well-suited to look after you. To even think he let the Prince of Gears near you is unfathomable." The cat's tail swooshed somewhat menacingly as we continued to walk down the crooked path.

Eventually, the path led to a fork. The two stopped and became somewhat hesitant. Of course, this raised some suspicion for me. Maybe they just didn't know the way, or perhaps there was some vicious beast on one path and a great swamp in the other. Sylvester glared at me, scolding me with a look alone. "Which way?", He asked.

Which way? How was I to know? It's not like I was born and raised here. Or at least I believe I wasn't. "Um", I sputtered, looking at the paths curiously. The path on the right was covered by enormous, purple leaves and the other seemed to drop down towards some sort of cave. My head spun and I recalled something from the back of my head. "To the left."

I instantly regretted this. The left seemed like the more dangerous path, yet it reeled me in and even brought a comforting aura over me.

He nodded. "So you are still in there, Lady Bubo." He began to go down the rocky road. I followed him cautiously, making sure not to hit the low-hanging branches and thorn-covered vines that reached out toward me, whipping furiously.

Akin looked at me and sighed. "You do look a lot like your father, don't you?" His fur was suddenly a dark brown, similar to the trees from before.

"If I knew him maybe I could agree," I replied.

We reached the entrance of the cave and continued our passage. The place was oddly familiar. It was cold and had many vines coating the walls. There also seemed to be some very old traps around the place. Some had already been set off long ago, and others weren't ever used, but wouldn't be used any time soon seeing as they were all rusty. We turned the corner.