Chapter Three

He was benevolent

He took care of us all

Whilst we didn't know what to do

Unfortunate that all good comes to an end

He will be missed

Had I really done such a deed? I stared at him in shock. My head- my whole body felt as if it were burning from a lack of oxygen. I forgot how to breathe. Key almost immediately took notice and he asked for Sylvester to go fetch me some water. He did so and the remaining three continued to attempt to explain the situation to me. Akin attempted to explain what was happening in a less intense sense.

"These abilities are nothing but a curse. You were once part of a council that would prevent cases like this, but ever since The Queen got her new subjects, your blessing has morphed into a curse ."

Akin jumped onto the foot of the bed, his warmth spread through the sheets and to my feet. "But," said the cat,"The man in the hearse. Amin. That was the only way to free himself of his curse. A selfish man he is."

My gaze shifted to Sigmund. He was tracing his steps, looking down and muttering to himself. This worried me. Everything was worrying me. Sigmund stopped and looked at Key. "But it never worked. He tried to free himself, but it never worked. He did it to as many royal children as he could. To me, to Sova, to Hyder...and it never worked. He wasn't able to complete any of the rituals- or is it that he isn't done yet?"

Key brushed buzzed and loaded a hefty ray gun-isk tool. "They've planned this out better than we thought. Think about it- Ever since Hyder died it seems they've just got our queen cornered although we've defeated their king. We need to face it...ruin their plan, do the unexpected. That's why I'm saying we can still bring Hyder back!" Akin rolled his eyes and swooshed a trail of water at him to show his disapproval.

Sylvester returned and he held out a silver cup with fizzy water. As I sipped, my mind filled with questions. The back of my mind recalled all these names, but I couldn't see their faces or any memories of them. It was as if they were completely erased from my mind- almost. Hyder was a name that rang a bell. Hyder. He was deceased, yes, that much I knew but what was his relation to us- to me. He could have been a friend, foe, master, or apprentice yet I did not know.

Sylvester sat next to me on a stool adorned with creatures of the forest. He closed his eyes and sighed, bringing his hands to his face and resting his chin. The others were still chatting about their theories and complaints. He raised his hand and closed it as if snatching something from the air. Suddenly, the room was silent. I looked back to the others. Their mouths continued to move; they were still arguing.

I switched my vision to the man sitting next to me. He leaned against the wall and glanced at me. I then noticed a familiar fairy fly onto his shoulder and lean in to watch. Twigs. Sylvester spoke up," We knew of the dream because I've got a way of seeing your thoughts and visions." He placed his finger on his ear, pinching the skin on it and allowing me to see a silver earring in the form of a dreamcatcher. Twigs poked the earring and I saw a small flare of feathers which vanished soon after.

She danced in the imaginary feather and then pointed to me as if telling me I was like the feathers. Or perhaps that the feathers represented me in a way.

"I don't carry this charm because I don't trust you, but simply to watch out for you. King used a more modern method, but, due to the law, I am not allowed to tell you his ways. Just know his ways are manipulative and dirty. Unlike him, if you wish for me to stop tracking your thoughts I will comply."

Twigs curled up in his hair and her wings draped over her. She seemed to trust him.

I told Sylvester that I would allow him to keep the earrings. Something about him told me he was more than trustworthy. Whether it was because of Twig's trust in him or my own hidden opinion, I wasn't all too sure. I only knew that some part of me believed I had known him before. Before I lost my memories. Once he got up to leave, the room was silent except for the little buzzes from Twigs. She stayed to "protect me" according to Sylvester, but I'm not so sure she'd be capable of combating creatures bigger than herself.