Chapter Four

She was valiant

She would fight for us no matter what

Whilst we watched and cheered

We have lost our shield

Where is she now

I froze and struggled to get anything out of my mouth. It wasn't until the spears were no further than an inch from my face that my body cooperated with my mind. Even then, I didn't know what to do. Then, quick, light steps headed my way and all but three guards had been knocked back. King, casually holding a cup of what I believed to be juice, stood before me.

Although he seemed to be taking things lightly as he sipped the juice and threw the cup, he had an expression that showed me he was anxious. He straightened up and turned to Stolas. "Milord," he stated blandly. No emotion, nothing but a curtsy of no remorse at the expense of Stolas shouting out commands at the guards. Little before they got to us, King snapped his fingers and it went dark. Next thing I knew, I was being pulled away and dragged down the halls.

"Man, he's going to kill me for that one," He said without looking back.

Every time we were met with a fork, he didn't hesitate to choose a path. This made it obvious that he knew the layout by heart, unlike myself. He soon let go of me and I continued to follow him with quick steps and a panicked mind. "Where are we going?" It probably wasn't the time for me to ask, seeing as anywhere would be better than in the presence of that old lunatic, but clarification is always nice. Unfortunately for me, that wasn't what I received. He only told me to wait, and so I did. But I truly didn't know what was next after this. What was I to do? Where was I to go? How was I to live, being chased down?

While running, a maxim pinged my heart and mind. A phrase that came from me undeniably in the past. "Those in power are oafish. They don't believe we deserve to have anything we wish to have. Therefore, I will, we will, do as we wish whether they like it or not." Those in power, those like Stolas, they have something against us. Whether it's because of things like what I just pulled off or not, I believed it was rather obscure to go into lengths like this just to feel accomplished. Perhaps I was like that at some point too, but I cared not for who I was in the past anymore. I can change; people can change.

We came to a sudden stop and I almost bumped into King. He quickly turned to me after hearing steps not far from us and held up his finger, half-expecting me to have blurted something out, which I may have done so if I didn't realize he was asking for me to be silent. We hid by taking a turn in what I supposed was the wrong direction, in order to get away from the sight of others. I heard someone pass us by. The voice belonging to a man in white, Arik. He was, of course, accompanied by Yarrow, who looked our way if only for a brief moment, but didn't bother to warn his friend.

"No, no. Yarrow clearly asked for a misty blue, not muddy lavender," said Arik, a silky, purple cloth in his hand. "Unfortunately, I'll have to ask you to pick out a different color." The maiden only responded with nods and a hurried "yes". Arik didn't seem all too menacing only minutes before when I met him outside, but it seemed that he had a much higher role than I had thought. It wasn't until the maid spoke and I understood why she acted the way she did.

"My apologies, Prince. We'll fix it immediately."

Of all things, Arik was a prince. Had I known sooner, I wouldn't be able to balance on my feet properly. A new layer of respect? No, nothing but a new layer of fear. I'd nothing to say.

"Thank you, I'm sure the guests will truly appreciate your efforts," he said and then walked away no sooner after adding ,"And as to you, Yarrow, I'll see you after the meeting." We ready ourselves to leave but then a guard shows up and begins to speak with the prince. He tells him, not that we're being chased down, but that there has been an arrival. That Prince and Princess Citrine are awaiting him in the Waltz Room, or ballroom. "I'll greet them soon, but Stolas summons me, so I must get going. Yarrow will be heading that way, so please escort him."