Kim Namjoon

Namjoon
22 May YEAR 22

"We're just one year apart. No, someone said so. I'm older than him. I know. But he's not a kid anymore. I'm just saying it's time for him to do by himself. I got it. I said I got it. No, I'm not angry. Sorry."

I ended the call and looked down to the ground. The warm sea breeze was sweeping through the pine forest. I felt so suffocated inside, like my heart would explode any second. On the ground mixed with half sand and half ground, the ants were lining up to go somewhere. If someone who's greater than me in any aspect, physically or symbolically, look, would they see where I am going, know why I am going and how I will end up?

It's not like I don't love my parents, nor am I not worried for my sibling. If I can I want to look away, but I'm just me, so clearly that won't happen. If it happens, what would all these struggles, anger, frustration and this desire to escape mean?

Some distance away, I saw someone from the back, standing nailed to the spot just like I was. It was Jungkook. Jungkook once told me this. "I want to become an adult like you." I could tell him then. Tell him that I'm not a good adult like he thought, that no, I'm not even an adult. I felt like it would be too cruel to tell him so. I couldn't tell a young kid couldn't get the faith, the care and love he deserved that growing older, growing taller and living longer doesn't make you an adult. I hoped for Jungkook's future to be kinder to him than mine did, but I couldn't promise that I would be there to help him. I approached and draped an arm around his shoulder. Jungkook looked up at me.