Part Five

Darkness always finds a way back in

Screams erupted from the audience as Joseph Buquet's dead body hung from the rafters. Wide eyed I ran to Christine's room to tell her. "Chloe!" I turned at the sound of her voice "Chloe was it you?" I gaped at her. "How could you suggest such a thing!"
She came up to me "I'm sorry my mind is so baffled"
I grasped her hand "The roof we'll be safe there". We sprinted up and Raoul joined us.

We got to the roof and stopped to take a breath. I walked over to the edge and looked down. Raoul and Christine started singing but I wasn't paying much attention.

They ended their song with a kiss. Sweet? Not so much. They left the roof; now finally I had some peace. I glanced up at the stars marvelled by their beauty.
(Play whole song before moving onto next bit)

"It is not safe for a girl such as you to be out at this time tomorrow" a voice said. Whipping round I found no source of the voice.
"Come out whoever you are" I called glad I didn't stutter.
"If I do you'll be scared" I heard him say. "What if I close my eyes?" I really wanted to meet this guy. I closed my eyes, smirking a bit when I faintly heard footsteps. "Who are you?" I asked.
"A ghost" his breath washed over my face before complete silence. I opened my eyes to see nobody there. Strange; he must be a ghost after all. I chuckled at my thinking; there's no such thing as ghosts.

I walked down to rafters and saw the rope for the chandelier sliding across the wood.
I sprinted and grabbed the rope to prevent the chandelier from falling. My feet slid against the wood and was stopped by the metal barrier running down the side. I tried to wrap the rope around my hand but it was too much. The coarseness of the rope bit into my hands. It whipped away from me scarring my hands and slashed into my face before it disappeared to the stage below. The impact sent me reeling back and tripping; smashing my head into the metal barrier that ran down the side of the walkway.

*****

The first thing I noticed was the pain in my head. Slowly I felt the tight wrap of bandages around my hands and a soft material pressed against one side of my face. Cracking my eyes open I took in my surroundings. Pale grey walls and in the corner, if my don't deceive me, is my brother.
A friendly looking man walked into the room looking quite smart. He must be a doctor. "Miss Chagney you are free to go. The mark on your face is not permanent and will be gone in a few weeks. However, the cuts on both hands will scar over." He said.
"Anything else Dr" I whispered staring at the floor.
"The scars will never heal. I'm sorry"