Chapter Four: A new family

“Knock Knock” Becky said as she opened the door.

“Oh? Is the food ready?”I asked and stopped playing the guitar.

“Yes.”She replied “still clearing your mind?”

“Well a lot happened lately.. and well.. forget it.”

Silence surrounds us and her eyes were paused on me. I decided to make the first action. I stood up and placed my guitar in its stand and walked towards Becky.

“Come on I wanna know your surprise” I said as I pushed her lightly down.

“Okay! Easy girl” She said.

We went to the dining room where Sam has already occupied one seat. The plates were arranged, the kitchen was surprisingly cleaned, and the vase was full of flowers. I smelled an awesome scent of yummy food.

“Oh so this is your surprise” I told her

“Yep” She said confidently “ Now sit down”

I helped myself and ate as much as chicken curry as I can consume. Becky had always made the best chicken curry that’s why whenever I eat some random curry I can't help but compare it to hers.

We finished the whole dish and left with only drinks in our table.

“Sam, can you get that” she asked

“What THAT?” He said confused

“That! That.” She responded.

“Will you stop with the THAT already?” I said confused.

“Oh, for God’s sake Sam the cake” Becky said annoyed. ”Now it’s not a surprise anymore”

Sam stood up and went for what he was ordered. I was left bewildered for a moment.

“Why is there a cake?” I asked Becky who was left alone with me.

“Well, I can’t believe that you forgot what today is but today is the day we first adopted you” She said while she clapped her hands.

Sam returned to the room with a cake on his hands and placed it at the center of the table. The cake was round and its flavour was Ube, my favourite. The cake has one candle at the middle where I should obviously blow.

“Awww…… I remember when we first met” She told me while wiping her tears.

“Mom, you’re over reacting” Sam said as he stared at me “So? What now, are we just gonna watch the candle blow itself?”

I wish that I could say something back to him but my mind was temporarily shut down and I couldn’t think of any response to his teasing. I was left amazed by their kindness. I really do belong in a family I thought.

“Weell, Thank you that’s all I’ve to say really” I said as I look at both of them.

“I’m sorry dear that we have to celebrate it like this every year. The town has too many records of your birthday and you don’t even know when it really is. “She said as she smiled.

“That’s because she’s an alien” Sam smirked

“Am not” I frowned

I blew the candle and waited as the party lasted for many hours.

…………………………………

I woke up in the sound of Sam’s annoying voice

“Idiot get up!” He said as he knocked on the door