s*t*a*r*s 8 - pt 149

s*t*a*r*s/J*A*D*E*S

            “Mom,” says Sydney, teleporting into her parent’s house.  “Oh, Mom!”

            “Geez,” says Shelby, coming into the living room, wearing just boxers and a tee shirt.  “I was working on a proposal.  Is everything okay?”

            Shelby looks Sydney over with a careful eye. 

            “Yeah, yeah, everything is fine.  Can I use Dad’s cabin tonight? He was on a stake out so I couldn’t port to him.  He’s with that Julie chick, I think.”

            “You know we have cell phones,” says Shelby flatly.  Then she grins.  “I don’t see why you can’t use the cabin, no one is up there.  Sean is in LA, but you don’t need a key, you could have gone.  You going alone?”

            Sydney frowns.  “No.”

            Shelby sighs.  “Spencer?”

            Sydney nods curtly.  “No speeches, okay?  Please?”

            Shelby smiles ruefully.  “Have I ever given you speeches?  That’s your dad, not me.  You sure about what you’re about to do?  You know your choices and you know what happens when you make them.”

            Sydney looks down at her shoes, her dark blonde hair falling into her eyes, she says softly, “Yes.”

            “Then you go do what you want to do,” says Shelby.  “If you make a mistake it’s yours, you own it, kid.  You’ve owned up to them all so far.”

            Sydney’s head snaps up.  “I have?”

            “You made mistakes when I died; you owned up to them, you owned them outright.  Even when you found out how you got HIV.  You didn’t jump at the chance to take Jayden’s blood; you’ve got a conscience, Sydney.  I don’t know if you got that from me or not,” laughs Shelby.  “I could be and still can be pretty ruthless if I want to be.”

            “You’re a survivor,” says Sydney.

            “So are you, you’ll do what you need to do to survive.  Do you need anything for your evening?” asks Shelby, going to the fridge and getting a bottle of water.

            “No, I’m going to port a few places and stock the place up and then go get Spencer.  Don’t tell Dad?”

            Shelby laughs.  “I can’t do that, kiddo, but I can just say you went to the cabin.”

            Sydney crosses the space between them and hugs her mother hard.  “Thank you.”

            “You’re welcome.”  Shelby steps back and Sydney teleports away.  “Yup, my kid.”

s*t*a*r*s/J*A*D*E*S

            “I don’t know,” says Spencer into the phone.  Her face is drawn and unsure.  “I don’t know what she has in mind, at all, Lee.”

            “Well, you didn’t ask her?” asks Rylee.  She rubs the back of her neck. 

            “No.”