< F O U R >

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song---------}

"Red Sam" By Flyleaf {Acoustic Version}

< F O U R >

Things that are annoying after a trying night:

One is being woken up from a dead sleep.

The second would be woken up by an annoying sound.

The third being that annoying sound not shutting up when you tell it to.

Popping my head up from my bland smelling hotel pillow I glare at my phone, some crappy cheap gadget I picked up from Wal-Mart, as it plays some high-pitched ringtone. Peeking at it I groan out loud to see the word ‘Mom’ flashes on the screen.

Falling onto my back with a huff I feel my whole right side become washed in warmth and my arm covered in the tickling sensation of fur. Looking over I roll my eyes to see the wolf, who is now blood free after the trying experience of giving it a bath, staring at me.  On the bright side its fur smells vaguely like my pomegranate shampoo so that’s a plus.

“When did you get in my bed?” I ask before shaking my head, “You know what? I don’t want to know.”

Snatching the phone off the end table I glance over at my companion.

“You better not say a word.” I warn it with a glare.

It only yawns before settling its head back down on the bed in response.

Well now that’s settled.

Pressing the green little answer button I answer, “Oi.”

“Wren Maria Mendoza Collins.” My mother begins with a scolding tone, “Is that really how you greet your mother?

Collins.

I nearly snort in disbelief she still calls me by her married name, the one I was given after she married her husband and my stepfather, Trent Collins. We never got along but after the wedding and adoption the hate became more obvious on both sides. Trent didn’t start getting physical with me though until I hit fourteen and it wasn’t long before I started hitting back.

As soon as I hit eighteen I was out of there like a bat out of hell. I legally changed my surname back to Mendoza and moved to a totally different city. Mom, though having seen the bruises and emotional abuse that piece of shit put me under never took my side. She wanted a husband and Trent was her ‘prince charming’. It’s been a source of tension for us ever since and as a result our relationship hasn’t been the closest.

Sighing I rub my eyes before answering her, “Apparently.”

“Wren.” She snaps.

I roll my eyes and sit up in the bed, “Forgive me mother. I’ve just woken up so I’m a bit on edge this morning.”

“Forgiven.” She sniffs before her ‘mom’ voice comes back, “Why did you text me that this your number? Did you get a new phone? Can you even afford that on your salary?”

“I just…” I run a hand through my hair and grimace at the grime on it; “Needed a change I guess.”

“Is that why you dumped Keith?”

I stiffen at the sound of his name and out of the corner of my eye I see the wolf’s head lift in reaction. Ignoring it I try really hard to keep my emotions in check and my voice casual as I reply.