< T H I R T E E N >

© Amber Kalkes 2014

Song---------}

"Bruise Violet" By Babes In Toyland.

*Violence

< T H I R T E E N >

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping and the beat of heart against my ear. Blinking a few times to get the sleep out of my eyes I realize that I’m laying on the couch. Well technically I’m laying on top of Jack whose on top of the couch. Lifting my head I balance my chin on his chest and simply stare at him sleeping like the lovesick creeper I’m slowly becoming.

Jack’s face is so relaxed in sleep its almost childlike. His mouth is a little agape as soft breaths escape out while his chest moves evenly under my chin. His blonde hair is a mess around his face while one arm is tucked behind his head while the other is wrapped securely around my waist. When I shift a bit the arm around me tightens and his eyebrows furrow a bit while he makes a slightly moan in unhappiness.

Smiling a little I slowly pry his arm from me before carefully removing myself from the couch. Standing up I make my way to the bathroom and after flicking the light on I grimace at how bad of bed head I have. I literally look like a cockatoo. Trying my best to smooth it down with my hands it just springs back in place and I realize that today is a hat day.

As I do my lady business I let out a groan when I realize that it’s that time of the month. Shit. Looking around completely flustered I’m pretty sure a single guy isn’t going to have any spare tampons in his house. Making a makeshift solution I exit the bathroom with every intention of fixing the problem.

I’m still wearing my ripped up jeans and tank top combo so throwing on one of my black skullcaps, a thin black sweatshirt and my old leather jacket I search around for Jack’s truck keys. I find them in the most obvious place, the key ring, how ironic and slide on my boots before jotting down a quick note.

Needed something from town. Borrowed your truck. Be back soon.

Practically tiptoeing out of the house I wince as the door makes a small slicking noise as I close it before making my way towards the large black ford truck. I make a face when I realize I am literally going to have to climb into this massive thing. Yanking open the door I try really hard to not shift around too much before starting it and letting it roar to life. Moving it into reverse as fast as possible I make my way towards town like a bat out of hell convinced that if Jack uses his crazy werewolf speed I’ll be forced to explain my issue.

And I am so not in the mood to explain the womanly functions of my body to him.

Flicking on the radio I ease into relaxation as an old Fleetwood Mac song comes on. My grandpa always loved to listen to them and would teach me how to play a few songs of theirs on his guitar along with some Spanish songs that now I can’t remember for the life of me. Drumming my fingers on the wheel I pull to a stop outside of ‘May and Fay’s’ before carefully climbing out of the truck. Again, I can’t help but grimace at the sound of that little dig that alerts all in the store of my presence.

“Hello!” A charming voice calls. “Welcome to Fay and May’s on a such a wonderful day!”

A woman comes out, much like last time I was in here but this one I realize quickly is not Fay. This woman’s hair is long and though also blonde is more natural in its style. The makeup as well is very muted as she walks towards me with the same smile as the twin I’ve met but wearing a more comfortable outfit of jeans and a tucked in plaid shirt.