20. Children Will Listen

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! I hope you have a wonderful new year and stay safe and well.
I know a lot of the previous chapters have touched on a lot of dark themes. I think this one's more light-hearted, or more hopeful at least (I hope). I hope you enjoy it. Thank you for reading!

It was a Monday. Unfortunately though, instead of being a normal, relaxing day for Silver, it was a surprise trip. Well, it was a surprise for Silver, apparently the rest of the class had been having warnings and reminders through all the days Silver was missing for. Completely unfair, in her opinion.

So here Silver was, standing awkwardly against a brick wall with the other twenty students of the class she'd been forced to join. Aizawa and Toshinori were accompanying the students while an elementary school teacher was explaining what would happen to them.

She couldn't believe it had been a whole month since Eraserhead dangled her off a building. A whole month stuck with a bunch of idiot heroes.

Even though she probably should've been since she'd missed out previously, Silver didn't pay any attention to the nice-seeming woman who was muttering about safety or some such. Silver's attention strayed instead to the classroom to their left. She, along with the other high school students, were standing in a playground— grey, dull clouds hanging over them— while a brick wall stood a little ways to their left. Silver's eyes were drawn through the glass windows in that wall and to the children within.

They were all sitting on the carpet facing their teacher (who Silver couldn't see as they were behind the wall) which meant they were all looking towards the playground. Naturally, this meant that the attention of the children, like Silver's, was not at all on the adult standing in front of them. More than a few of the kids were spending more time watching the bigger kids outside than the person in charge.

Suddenly, most of the children got excited, some even standing up to jump and cheer like they were half their age— she understood an eight-year-old getting excited and all, but their reactions seemed a bit extra even for them. A moment later, the classroom teacher opened the door and all the students came running.

Eyes, filled with interest, marvelled at the older kids from behind the second teacher, some wearing their hero costumes, others opting for something better suited to the day— and Silver just in her usual clothes. The two groups of kids watched each other, staring each other down like it was a competition. Silver just continued to relax boredly against the wall behind her.

There were twenty students in class 2-A (excluding Silver) and twenty-five students in the grade 3 class of this school which meant some of 2-A were going to have to double up on the little troublemakers. It would be fun to watch at least. The two classes were partnered up randomly and, thankfully, Silver was left out of the mix which (while she wasn't complaining) she found weird, up until the moment she discovered this session was about helping the littluns with their quirks.

"How long are we here for?" Silver questioned quietly to Aizawa who would clearly have preferred to be in his sleeping bag but couldn't with the two female teachers standing nearby. She had a sneaking suspicion Nezu had told him to behave to maintain UA's reputation.

"Two hours," he groaned out, also unhappy about this arrangement.

Silver took a seat. This was going to be a long two hours.

The grey-haired girl watched, simply because she didn't have anything else to do, as the other members of her class got to know the kids and their quirks. The children had a real variety of abilities, most of them physical mutation or emitter quirks. The girl partnered with Bakugou could create solid spheres that worked like any type of bomb the child wanted, while Todoroki was struggling with some twins that somehow shared a plasma rope quirk between them and loved making life difficult for the heterochromic boy.