Chapter One

A/N: Hi! I rated this story as mature for a reason, but I also thought I'd give a side note that there is profanity, sexual content, violence, mentions of substance abuse, as well as a few trigger warnings, which I will put a warning ahead of time. But, now that I've said that, let me get on with the story.

This is how it starts:

He's somehow managed to lose count of how many freshmen he's fucked in the past week, but this one is horribly clingy. She's crying and begging and pleading for him to give us a try and he can't find it in him to pretend like she's anything more than a one night stand he fucked so he could sleep with her hot friend. He thinks he prefers men anyway; he doesn't have to handle the whining coming from them when he tells them he's not interested in a relationship. But, it's a lot easier to find a girl infatuated with him than a guy, so he'll take what he's able to.

"Caroline," He sighed heavily, dropping his cigarette on the ground by his locker before crushing it with the heel of his shoe, despite being warned about smoking in the building at least five times now; he knows this place will never get rid of him. After all, his best friend's father is the principal of the school. "It's never going to happen."

She shook her head, "You told me you thought you had feelings for me."

"I guess I lied."

She opened her mouth before closing it again, like a fish gasping for water, and he turned to face his locker so he could shove his books inside. He was already late to first period and he had yet to gulp down the shot of vodka poking out of his pocket. He was debating what escape plan would be best when someone familiar slid in next to him and threw an arm around his neck. He swore he'd never been so excited to see his best friend.

"Caroline, Shane clearly isn't interested in anything you have to say. Now, I would suggest leaving before I have to bring my father in to break this up."

"Fuck you, Garrett," She hissed before turning to walk away, deciding that getting with the boy she's had a crush on for two months isn't worth getting suspended for no other reason than the fact that the principal's son is a douchebag.

Shane rolled his eyes and turned to his friend, "Thank you, Gar. Another ten seconds in that situation and I would have offed myself."

"Anything for you. Now, come on, we have to go to first. If my Dad finds out we skipped again, he may send us to detention this time."

"We'd get out of it," Shane promised, but he closed his locker anyway, not bothering to bring any items with him as he never did any work in class; well, unless throwing balls of paper at the kids he didn't like counted as work. "Mrs. Russo's going to hate us."

Garrett snorted, "I'm pretty sure she already does."

"Probably," Shane shrugged as they turned through the doorway of their English class nearly fifteen minutes later than the scheduled time, interrupting the lesson in progress. Their teacher turned to look at them, face turned down in disappointment, and Shane settled into his seat in front of Garrett, kicking his feet up on the desk in front of him.

"Nice of you two to join us."

"You should be thankful we even showed."

Shane snickered at his friend's words, turning to face the desk next to him so he could take part in his daily eight o'clock nap, but he was surprised to find the usually vacant seat occupied. The boy barely glanced at neighbor, vigorously scribbling down whatever their teacher was talking about into a notebook placed upon the desk in front of him. Shane frowned, glancing back at Garrett, but his friend was engrossed in something on his phone.