6. The Lovers

3rd Person POV

Nemuri shuts the door behind her as she walks into the living room and draps herself over the couch. She sets a bag of food onto the coffee table with a sigh.
"Linny~ I'm sorry it took me so long to get back." She said as she begrudgingly sits up and opens up the bag. "I actually don't have the time to make curry tonight, so i just got some take-out." She narrows her eyes as she slowly stands up. Nemuri glances around the room for a moment before walking down the hallway and stopping just in front of Lin's room. There is a note taped to the door that states 'Taking a nap' in messy handwriting.
"Linny? I know you're upset about what happened earlier today, but come on out of there. I bought us some burgers!" She knocks on the door only to be met with silence. A few seconds later she knocks a bit more urgently, "Lin? Come on, let's go eat." Once more no one answers. She hurriedly opens the door and walks over to his bed side, where he is half hidden by his blankets.
Nemuri lightly brushes her hand across his forehead, and recoils at the touch. His body is cold as ice.
"Lin! Lin, can you hear me?!" She rolls him over and covers her mouth with a shaky hand at the sight. His body is unmoving and covered in blood. "Lin! Wake up! Please, please wake up!"
She picks him up and leaves the apartment as fast as she can, before running down the hallway and out into the parking lot.
Nemuri puts him in the back seat and jumps into her car before speeding down the hallway. She pulls out her phone and calls the hospital.
"Hello? Musutafu General Hospital, how may i help you?" a woman's voice sounds out from the other line.
"I just tried to wake up my kid, and he wouldn't wake up. When i rolled him over he was covered in blood!" Nemuri  explain frantically.
"Ma'am, please calm down. Now where are you?"
"I'm on my way over there. Have a stretcher waiting for me by the entrance." she instructs.
"..yes ma'am right away." the woman said as she hung up.
Nemuri tries to steady her shaking hands as she pulls up in front of the hospital where a group of paramedics are waiting. She throws the car into park and climbs out to open up the back door where Lin is laying limp.
The paramedics gently lift the boy out of the car and places him on a stretcher before taking him inside.
A man walks up to her with a clipboard in hand. "Ms. Midnight, care to tell me what happened?"
She crosses her arms across her chest in a visual attempt to keep herself together. "I came home from work, and he was like that.."
"Do you know if he did this to himself, or if it could have been caused by something else?" The paramedic asked with a grim expression.
Nemuri urgently tapped her foot and narrowed her eyes at the man. "He may not be my real kid, but i know him better than that! Lin is a troubled kid with a bad past, and he may be a bit too touchy, but he would never even think about hurting himself! And nothing happened earli-!" Her expression changed from annoyed to panicked almost in a blink of an eye. "....oh my god.."
"Ma'am?" The paramedic took a small step backwards as a precautionary measure for his own safety. He had been in this business far too long and had to deal with his fair share of an enraged mother's wrath.
"The U.S.J.!!" She shouted suddenly. "He was at the U.S.J. earlier today when those villains attacked!"
"I see. Why don't i lead you to the waiting room, and get you set up with some things, hm?" the man asked softly in a kind voice.
Nemuri hesitantly nodded as she messed with the fabric of her hero costume. "Um.. I don't want to draw too much attention. Can you possibly lead me to a private conference room or something?"
He nods, "right away Miss Midnight."
He led her down a long hallway until he unlocked a small conference room, though it looked more like a lounge than anything else. A average grey couch was pressed against the wall, which was painted a dull yellow color. A small coffee table was just at the front of the couch while a larger circular wooden table was across the room. Next to the other table was a black mini fridge, placed up onto a counter top where there were things like a sink, coffee machine, radio, and a box of donuts.
"I know its not much, but the conference rooms are all occupied." he said apologetically. "Help yourself to the fridge, and I'll be right back with your paperwork. If anyone asks, tell them 'Lee' okayed it."
After he left the room, Nemuri sat down onto the couch. The nerves and the realization finally hit home. Lin Chiba was in the hospital. A teen boy was in a life-or-death situation. Her son was dying. And she was alone.
For once she allowed herself to panic, she could quite possibly lose her son tonight. She was nearing hysterics when she finally decided to call someone about this. Someone she trusted.
"Come on.. Pick up pick up pick up!" she outwardly groaned as she began a speedy pace in the middle of the room.
"Hellooooo~!" a cheery voice chimed out from the other side of the phone. "What's up?"
"Now's not the time for theatrics, Hiza!" she exclaimed as she tried to calm herself down.
"Oh no.. Oh god, something happened didn't it? Say the word and i'll go get you! Where are you now?" Hizashi said frantically.
"Musutafu general hospital." Nemuri said after taking a deep breath. "When you get here, ask to see 'Lee'. He's a paramedic and he knows exactly where i am."
"Okay. I'll be there as soon as i can." he said nervously before adding quietly, "i don't know what's going on, but i can promise you that everything will be okay."