Oma and Opa

When the boys returned, their maternal grandparents were taking up residence in the kitchen. Tom watched Bill sulk up to his room not bothering to greet anyone. Tom heard the sounds of his screamo that slowly diffused around the house.

"Simone, you let that boy play that devil's music in this house?"

"Mom, please." She sighed.

"Mom, why didn't you say they're going to be here?"

"It was meant to be a surprise for both of you...one of you."

"I'm going to go check on Bill."

"No, come sit right here, next to me, young man."

Their grandfather was a pastor and was outraged when he heard Tom chose to opt out of the bible study class that his school offered. He also stopped attending church.

"So, what's this I hear about you not giving up your spirit to The Lord?"

"Opa, I've been a little too busy to give up anything to a spiritual being."

"There's no such thing. You are never too busy for The Lord."

"Your opa's right. You're going to church on Sunday right?"

"I can't. I have a meeting downtown with the guys giving me the building to start my architectural practice."

"So, you're turning down your lord and savior for a materialistic building?"

"Opa, look, I just haven't been as attached to God in so long that I honestly don't care."

They gasped and Tom decided that this would be a great time to leave. He went up to Bill's room and gently opened the door. Bill was in a tight little ball in the corner of his bed. He found solitude in this position. Tom sat on the edge of his bed and gently rubbed his leg. He wanted his brother to know that he's there for him.

"A--are they gone?"

"No but I have a feeling they hate both of us right now."

"Why?"

"I kind of said I don't care about my religion to Opa."

"Why?!"

"Because I don't. They always try and force this shit into my life and I don't want it."

"Really, Tom?"

"Yes, really. I love you kiddo and when they insulted your lifestyle it showed me where my loyalties lie."

"Tom, don't destroy what you've gained to better suit me. They'll always hate me but you've got a chance."

"Bill, look, I'll always love you. So what if they hate me. You'll always be there and I'll always be there. Just as brothers. Us two against the world."

"But what if I come out to them? They'll kick me out."

"And you can live with me. I have enough money to keep you in school and to by a house."

"Tom, you don't have to."

"Yes I do, baby brother."

The door was opened and their grandparents and parents walked in. They heard Bill say come out and curiosity kicked in.

"Bill, what's going on?"

"Mom, dad, Oma, Opa, I'm sorry but I can't hide anymore, I'm gay."