18. Trick

With Ren and I ignoring the very existence of one another, Vegas' positive energy carried the team as we rode the speed lift to Snoke's chamber.

"Lord Ren. I have a new assignment for you."

"I'm ready, Master."

I glanced over my shoulder when I heard the speed lift take off as though someone had summoned it. When the Supreme Leader spoke, I planted my gloved hands back on the floor.

"I have ordered the fleet to begin the push into the Western Reaches of the Outer Rim." His voice dropped in pitch. "I have trained you well, my apprentice. It is time for you to join them."

The Western Reaches was a region that sliced through all three Rims, providing vital supply chains to the wealthy Core Worlds. It was also under the jurisdiction of the New Republic. The First Order fleet pushing into the region would mean...

"But what about Luke Skywalker?" Ren asked urgently.

Snoke leaned forward on his throne, leering over Ren like a giant. "Patience, Lord Ren. I have foreseen that you will find the map there."

"...Yes, Master."

The speed lift returned. I caught a glimpse of red hair in my peripheral before General Hux appeared, striding forward confidently. Ren shot to his feet and turned his face as Hux joined him, his jaw clenching in annoyance.

"Supreme Leader," he began in a loud yet shrill voice. "General Graves expressed no reservations with Lord Ren stationed on Finalizer. However, he made it clear that he will not tolerate any deviations from his assigned duties."

Snoke nodded and threaded his fingers together. "As I would expect of all my Generals," he rumbled.

I could see the tension in Ren's shoulders and the vice grip on his helmet. When Hux began reporting on another matter, he interrupted him.

"Supreme Leader, I believe I would be more effective detached from the fleet."

Hux fell silent and glanced at Ren warily. Snoke leaned forward again, this time his eyes like daggers. His voice became low and lethal.

"Are you questioning my guidance, my young pupil?"

"No," came the swift reply. And then a hitch of breath as if silencing himself from speaking further.

Snoke slowly reclined on his throne. "Leave us," he ordered.

Vegas and I scrambled to our feet. Ren stood alone in the chamber as we fell in behind Hux. On the speed lift, he whirled around with a pinched expression on his face. His icy blue eyes were fixed on Ren's back as the doors slid shut. The Supreme Leader's voice could be heard until the lift gained momentum.

"One Jedi is not enough to challenge the might of the First Order..."

I shrugged one shoulder, desperate to work out the tension building there. Hux released a smug scoff.

"I hope you rubes understand what this means," he lashed out. "Starting tomorrow, Ren's little games are over."

A chill settled over me as I wondered what would change after joining the fleet. Vegas and I stood behind him like silent statues, not engaging in his petty spat with Ren. His gloved hands were balled into fists behind his back. When he suddenly glanced over his shoulder, my eyes snapped to his face. His gaze lingered on me.

"Remove your helmet, Trooper," he ordered, quieter.

I schooled my expression into an unreadable mask as I reached for my helmet. I pulled it off and made eye contact with him, standing at exactly the same height. His eyes narrowed, and I got the sinking feeling that he recognized me. Raising his chin, he appraised me with a spiteful glint in his eye.