Prologue: Candy Kisses

Sana and Mina kissed for the first time at nine years old. The incredibly sweet kiss happened on a day that started off bitter when Mina slipped on the playground and skinned her knee.

A sharp pain rippled through Mina's leg as she fell and the only person who noticed her crying was her classmate Sana, who was by Mina's side in an instant. When it seemed like no amount of soothing and comforting could stop Mina's tears, Sana leaned in and kissed Mina gently on the lips.

It was a quick kiss, chaste and innocent, softer than a marshmallow, and completely effective at stopping Mina's tears.

"What was that?" Mina asked curiously. She rubbed the tears from her eyes as her tongue instinctively darted out to lick her lips, finding a faint sweetness lingering there after Sana's kiss.

"It's a marshmallow kiss," Sana declared with a smile, proud that her actions had stopped Mina's tears.

"Marshmallow kiss?" Mina repeated faintly. The name was fitting for the sweet action. Mina smiled shyly as Sana boldly took her hand and led her to the nurse's office to get cleaned up. They were best friends from then on, bonded over skinned knees, fresh tears, and a kiss named after a marshmallow.

That marshmallow kiss was the first of many over the years as Mina and Sana grew up together, not realizing until much older that it was unusual for friends to share kisses, not caring at all what their peers thought of them as teenagers when marshmallow kisses became lollipop kisses.

They were hanging out in Mina's room the first time it happened, when Sana leaned into Mina at age thirteen with a kiss that was longer than any of their previous kisses. It was an open mouthed kiss, wet and messy, like licking a lollipop, and no longer as innocent as a marshmallow kiss.

"Do you like it?" Sana asked shyly after they pulled apart from their first lollipop kiss. Her face was red with embarrassment as she waited for Mina's reply. "It's a lollipop kiss."

"I do like it," Mina replied instantly. The kiss was new, it was different. And to Mina, sharing the kiss with Sana somehow felt right. "I like you very much, too," Mina added as she gazed into Sana's blushing face, surprised to find that it was possible for Sana's face to become even redder.

The lollipop kiss was the ultimate kiss for Mina and Sana while they were young teenagers, often sharing the kiss with each other whenever they were alone together, whenever the mood was right, which seemed like always.

Mina felt her heart growing with each passing day, finding it more and more filled with feelings for Sana as they continued to grow up together. And Mina knew that Sana felt the same way about her, too. Mina could sense it through their sweet kisses, through their constantly intertwined hands, through the indescribable affection in Sana's eyes whenever they looked at each other.

It came as no surprise to Mina when one day their lollipop kiss evolved into a more daring kind of kiss. They were nineteen now and living in a cozy apartment together as college students. And on their first night in their new home, while enjoying a lollipop kiss on their tiny sofa, Sana leaned into Mina and deepened the kiss. It was a rough kind of kiss, fiery and hot, with light bites on her lips that made Mina want to melt inside.

Sana gazed down at Mina with a seductive smile on her face, licking her lips as Mina tried to catch her breath. "It's a chocolate kiss. I've been saving this kiss for so long now," Sana whispered, her voice low and hushed with desire. "Do you want it?"

Mina was breathless beneath her girlfriend, but she nodded hungrily, leaning up into Sana's mouth to initiate the next chocolate kiss. "I want it," Mina murmured in between chocolate kisses. "I really, really want you, too."

Sana's arsenal of kisses exploded after that night. Soon there were strawberry kisses that Sana liked to place against Mina's neck and all over her body, deep and bruising kisses that left strawberry red marks against her skin.

There were jelly kisses, a bitey kind of kiss so aptly named because Sana felt like she was biting into jelly candy whenever her teeth dug gently into Mina's skin.

And then there were cotton candy kisses, a personal favorite of Mina's, a soft, wispy almost ghost of a kiss that Sana loved to trail down Mina's back, across her hips, basically anywhere that caused Mina to squirm with delight.

After a particularly passionate night that included every kiss in Sana's repertoire, after they were both satiated and nestled safely in each other's arms, Sana lovingly placed a soft marshmallow kiss against Mina's lips and asked, "which kind of kiss do you like the most?"

Mina thought about it for a moment, gazing at the sweetness in Sana's eyes before coming up with the perfect answer. "Candy kisses."

"Candy kisses?" Sana repeated with confusion, not recognizing it as a name for any of their kisses.

Mina smiled and took Sana's face gently in both hands, returning the soft marshmallow kiss. "Yes, 'Sattang' kisses. My favorite kiss is any kiss that comes from you."

-------------------------

Author's Note: If you didn't know, "Sattang" is Sana's Japanese nickname and it also means "candy" in Korean.