f i v e

I woke up the next day to the sound of my alarm. I groaned and turned it off. I rolled back over to be met with a half asleep Corbyn smiling at me. "Come on Corbs. We gotta get ready for school." I say as I ruffle his hair.

'Do we have to?'

"Yes now come on."

'Fine.'

We got ready for the day. When We got down stairs, mom had made us toast. 'Good morning you two.'

'Morning mom.'

'Hello. Good morning Mrs. Diaz.'

'How did you sleep Corbyn?'

'Amazing. Thank you for letting me stay.'

'Of course! Will you be here again tonight?'

Corbyn looked at me. I nodded. 'Yes.' he said with a smile. I smiled too.

'Well, we have to go mom. See you after school.'

'Have a good day sweetie. You, too, Corbyn.'

I gave her a kiss on the cheek and Corbyn gave her a hug and thanked her once more before leaving.

...

As we arrived to school, someone called my name. "Hey Jordyn!"

I turned to see Jack and the rest of his posse standing by the bleachers. "What do you want Jack?"

"Why are you hanging out with the freak?"

"He's not a freak."

"Whatever. Why don't you come hang with us?"

"You wish. Come on Corbyn."

I grabbed his hand and walked him inside.

...

We made it the whole school day without being tormented by the boys. Until school let out. As soon as we stepped outside, someone grabbed Corbyn and dragged him behind the school. They started hitting and kicking him. All four boys. And a girl. Sarah? "Sarah what the fuck are you doing?!"

"You'd rather hang with him than me. He's a fucking mute. He doesn't even talk! He's a freak."

"He's more normal than any of you. All of you can go to hell!"

I turned and did a roundhouse kick, hitting Sarah right in the jaw. (I took karate and some other things when I was a kid. Karate, judo, kickboxing, etc...)

Jack came after me and I brought up my knee and hit him in the nuts. "You crazy bitch!" They all ran off. I ran to Corbyn, tears running down his face. 

"Corbs. I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have made you come to school. This is all my fault. I'm so, so sorry."

'No. It's not your fault. Lets just go home.'

"Home?"

'Is that okay?'

"Of course. My mom loves you. She'll be glad to have someone over to keep me company."

'So, home?'

"Home."