2] Super Complex

Max

We have been watching Neil work his magic on his shitty potion. Or maybe, I have been since Nikki is nowhere to be seen. It's science, he insists. It's like he wants me to strangle him. But I think I trust him. I've been thinking about it for hours, but Nikki is naive, and nowadays, has been hanging around Ered most of the time.

I don't like the way Ered hedges around her like Nikki's some animal who needs a treat. Or to feed. She'd be insane if she thinks she can keep this up. I huff in annoyance. I swear if she--

"Max?" I hear Neil say. I hum in response. It's become a habit. Nikki says I've become less of an asshole, which resulted in me giving her my best 'jaded 10-year old Max' bored stare. But we're 14 now, other than Nikki being a year younger.

"I think it's finished." Neil says strangely. Like he's fascinated. I turn around to fix him with a bored look. 

"You think?" I said, doubting, but I'm inwardly shaking with anticipation. He nods, very trance-like. Neil has been acting weird ever since I told him about the love potion. That was when I freaked him out in the middle of the night because I came up with it just minutes before I told him. That was a week ago. But now he's beginning to freak me out. 

"Neil." I say it as nonchalantly as I can. I don't want to ask if he's okay and seem like I care. I've never cared about anyone before. 

I'm obviously lying. I'm never admitting it. "Are you okay?" I say, and then I cringe. Max, you idiot.

"What? Yeah." He says, hesitating. "It's finished, but it's still a prototype. We'll have to test it."

"No, no I meant--" I'm saying words while resisting the urge to groan because Neil is not understanding what I just said.

"Hold on, I'll give you the final product tomorrow if you give me more time." He's looking at me anxiously while stammering, and I notice the bags under his eyes. What the fuck?

I grabbed him by the arm and looked closely, scrutinizing and squinting at his face. I'm right. They're dark under Neil's eyes, with red lining right over his bottom eyelashes-- and they are definitely not supposed to be there.

He mutters something about personal space before I tug him to get his attention.

"Did you even sleep?" I hiss at him and he freezes. Then slowly tries to pry my fingers off his arm from my grip but I tighten it. I'm probably not helping but Jesus Christ--

"Yes. I did." Neil says in length and I let go of his arm. "For, like, 3 hours but--"

"The fuck, Neil!" I shout, agitated. I should calm down. It's not even that important. I close my eyes, breathing in a long breath, then exhaling. "Whatever, just go to sleep." 

Neil opens his mouth to object, and I deliberately frown at him to try to scare him away or something and it works because he nods awkwardly and walks away, looking back at me occasionally before disappearing into the cabin.

"Have fun." I said to absolutely no one, realizing that I'm all alone now. Then I remind myself that I'm Max. You hate everything and anything. You aren't required to look after others, knowing that you need to look out for yourself when nobody else will. And you acknowledge that Neil is not just anybody else. 

Well, fuck that, he's your friend.