Chapter 6: Curses

She walked down the aisle to see Kian sitting there talking with a tall, statuesque strawberry blonde.  His step-sister Allegra sat behind him, laughing along with them both.

They fit so perfectly together. Like a dark prince surrounded by golden maidens.

Something inside her, twisted painfully and she had to look away.

How did that puppy of a boy, cause you pain, my lady? He doesn’t deserve you if he’s ever caused you pain. You deserve more than he. Devlin rumbled angrily in her mind and Rhiannon wanted to push him out.

She knew it was stupid to be jealous, but she was. Even with the strange tug at her heart whenever Devlin called her “his lady”, she was still incredibly, stupidly, jealous. Rhiannon wanted be alone with her despair but another part wanted to make Kian feel exactly the way she did.

She hated herself for it but that other part was winning.

He's in whole different league than me. But there's something about him that brings out these strange dark feelings. Rhiannon chewed her lip as she thought.

She looked out the window, watching as the world passed her by.

It had seemed her whole life, she breathed, ate and existed but she had never truly lived. She was just as an observer as other girls met boys, made friends, went on shopping sprees. Allegra had once even been her friend until one morning she just decided that she'd trade in her boring nobody for popular people. Rhiannon didn't even feel the hurt anymore. She didn't even remember the exact reasons Allegra had spouted.

At Devlin’s silence Rhiannon realised that she needed his comfort and his warmth. She placed the necklace on her neck as the delicate locket hung between her collar bones.

Devlin. She called with her mind but there was no answer.

Devlin? Hello? And yet no answer.

Rhiannon started to get worried. Where had her genie disappeared to? Had he returned to the locket already? He couldn’t have just left her with no one, with no ally to help her through the day.

The bus stopped at an unusual time.

There was normally no one at this stop. Rhiannon tried to see outside but the sun was in her eyes. She squinted and she thought she could see an angel, a golden halo surrounded his head and he seemed to shine from within.

He stepped on and Rhiannon couldn’t help her confusion.

Devlin? Her mind remained silent and she wondered what had happened to him. Girl after girl sighed as he passed. Obviously, they could see him now.

What has he done? 

He was wearing exactly what he had been wearing in her bedroom, leather jacket and all, no wonder there was a lot of sighing going on around her. Heck, she struggled not to sigh herself.

Ugh, this guy isn’t good for my reputation at all. Who are you kidding girl, since when have you had anything to protect?

She couldn’t help grinning as he stepped up right to her seat, every girl’s eye on him... and Kian’s staring at her in a way that completely frustrated her. It was a mixture of disapproval and something she couldn’t comprehend, but Rhiannon didn’t want to think about it.

“Hey, I’m Devlin Thornton could I possibly share this seat with you?” Rhiannon had forgotten how impossibly delicious he sounded.

Boys should never be this irresistible. It screws with the rest of us too much.