Chapter 17: Ghosts

A/N: So sorry for the wait. I've been busy with exams and such. I know that this chapter seems a little different from the other ones but that's because it was actually super hard to write this. I'm experiencing a little writer's block and it's really not good for me. I hope you guys understand? Shout out to _kira24 who has been such a wonderful and loyal reader. PLEASE read her book "The Charm of the Forbidden." You will not be sorry.

_____________________________________________________________________________

“I knew he’d do escape. We should’ve restrained him. He’ll probably go straight to his master and tell him exactly where we are.” Devlin paced. He sat at the kitchen table, shaking his leg. He stared into the distance unable to concentrate on anything in particular. The calm and collected Devlin was gone, all that was left was this caged animal who didn't know which way to turn.

It really worried Rhiannon. She’d never seen Devlin like this. This Slayer must’ve been powerful to worry a genie.

Rhiannon felt chills run down her spin at the thought. She rubbed her arm of goosebumps, allowing herself to tune out.

Her mind drifted to Kian. Last night rushing back. She pressed her hand to her lips as she smiled, subconsciously. She could almost feel his lips against hers. Rhiannon wasn’t sure how to feel. Kian had run away from her and yet… Some part of her told her that he wouldn't go to his master. Some part of her still wanted to trust him even though all the signs pointed to the contrary.

“– maybe you should get that.” Rhiannon looked up at Devlin, who was staring at her intently. She shook her head, returning to the kitchen. Devlin studied her for a moment, his green eyes shone brightly with amusement even as worry was sketched across his face.

“What?” She asked. She was really dazed. She bit her lip, trying to wake herself up.

“I think it would be better if you got the door mostly because it’s your house. I don’t want it to appear… indecent.” He said. He looked pretty uncomfortable, staring at his hands. She was about to ask him what he meant, but then it clicked.

“I highly doubt anyone will think we’re-“ The doorbell rang again.

She sighed as the doorbell was rung impatiently. Someone really needed to chill the hell out. She thought.

“I’m sorry, what do you-“ She stared out into open air. The kids across the street were riding bicycles and screaming as usual. The big red house across the street was menacing as always.

It must have been a knock and run.

Something cleared its throat. Rhiannon looked down and almost smacked herself.

A little girl sat on her doormat.

She looked up at her glaring daggers. She had beautiful smooth, tawny skin and eyes that were older than her years. She was clearly Asian, and extremely beautiful one. She wore a simple grey hoodie and black skin tight leggings. Rhiannon couldn't help cracking a smile when she noticed the leg warmers with fluffy pom-poms that seemed to jingle like bells whenever the girl moved.

Rhiannon would have thought she was cute if she didn’t have this complete look of dissatisfaction.

She clearly didn’t look happy, raising an eyebrow at Rhiannon.

You’re Rhiannon? What the friggin’ chicken nuggets does Kian or Morrighan see in you?” The girl asked. She looked mystified, as she hurriedly tried to get up.

Rhiannon was far from insulted. She almost laughed. She had been wondering the same thing. And hey, the girl had spunk. Rhiannon liked that.

“Yes, I’m Rhiannon. Pleasure to meet you.” She smiled, holding a hand out. The girl was obviously trying to act tough. She crossed her arms across her chest and tapped her foot in impatience. She kept her hands as far away from Rhiannon as possible.