Chapter 4 Part 1

I decided to split this chapter into 2 parts because on Word its already at 10 pages and I'm not even done. So here's the first part. ENJOY and please tell me what you think!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I slowly woke up as I felt the heat of the sun radiating on my face, the brightness making me squint my eyes. Yawning, I stretched my body as I felt myself become more alert. I stood, looking at Shelly, who was still asleep, and rolled my eyes. She's always been one to sleep in.

After thinking that, my eyes bulged. CRAP! What time was it?! I looked around frantically trying to find my phone, only letting out a small sigh when I found it. I opened it up and searched for the time. I sighed in relief when I realized I had woken up almost an hour before the alarm is supposed to go off to go home.

I went to the bathroom and looked at myself. My honey blonde hair was a slight birds nest due to my tossing and turning I always do when I sleep. My eyes, currently more golden than forest green, were shining with excitement. My heart was pounding in anticipation of the night and I decided I needed to go for a run to calm my nerves. I had at least an hour to go so I might as well make use of it.

I grabbed a bag to put my clothes in when I shift. I looked back at Shelly, who was now snoring, and shook my head chuckling to myself. I opened the door to leave her room and tip toed through the hallways and down the stairs. Luckily her dad was still asleep. I know because I could hear his loud snores even though his room was far from where I was. I chuckled again, like father like daughter.

I carefully opened and closed the front door as I jogged over to a nearby tree. Her house was only a block or so away from mine. We all live in the same neighborhood since there is somewhat of a forest behind our houses. Our houses look almost the same on the outside, so it makes it hard to distinguish who lives where. In each of our backyards, we have a good half mile of trees before there is a clearing where water resides. It wasn't a nice, lush, green environment, but it had a forest feel and tropical bushes here and there to make us feel at home.

Even though we have a long stretch of trees that we consider our forest, I'd still rather live in an area surrounded by all trees and few houses. My step family doesn't agree with me, but they will take trips to lush areas while leaving me at home to look after the house.

I quickly changed out of my clothes and put them in my backpack. I could feel my wolf getting excited at the chance to run, something I can't do often because my step mother always keeps me busy. I let her take control as I shifted, grabbing my backpack in my mouth. My wolf was an amazing snow white except for my ears and tail which were a midnight black.

I'm so glad that I've finally gotten used to the feeling of my bones cracking and shifting. The first few times had been absolutely horrible. The main things I remember are all the screaming I did and the horrible sounds of my bones breaking and morphing to accommodate my new body.

Because I'm relatively new to shifting, I couldn't willingly shift that much. My wolf chooses when she wants out, but since I haven't had many opportunities when she wanted to, she had to stay dormant until now. She really only has to worry for another week or two to wait until the month is over and I can shift whenever I want.

I could feel her joy as she sped through the semi-forest behind her home, avoiding the direction of my home, and heading towards the water. I could feel the nice breeze that was ruffling my fur and felt delighted and free. I loved every chance to go for a run. If my wolf was happy, that meant we both could be...most times.

When my wolf finally felt content, we took a break and rested on my belly, laying only a foot away from the water. The feel of the soft green grass under my paws was nice until I sensed another presence. My body tensed and my ears perked up. My wolf senses kicked in as I listened in for a threat. I looked around but didn't see anybody or anything.