Chapter 1

Day two of Joui Rebels infiltration.

Katsura-san is an idiot. Elizabeth-san is creepy. Nothing new to report.

(F/N) let out a sigh and closed her diary. The previous day, she'd been able to successfully infiltrate the Joui Rebels thanks to information previously attained by Yamazaki. While she was used to the special brand of crazy the Shinsengumi possessed, she found that the rebels had their own brand of crazy. She couldn't wait to be done with them.

She checked the time on her phone. It wasn't moving nearly fast enough. She supposed she could start on her report, but that wasn't due for a while—that was the reason for the diary, to keep track of events so her report would be perfect.

"At this rate," she muttered. "I'll have gone through all this for nothing."

There was a knock on her door, and she quickly packed up the diary and hid it in a drawer. She'd been given a room at one of the Joui Rebels' many bases, and that's where she would stay until the Shinsengumi finally arrested Katsura once and for all.

"Yes?" she said, forcing a smile.

"(L/N)-dono, it's Katsura. May I come in?"

That bastard...

She wanted to throw her heaviest book at the door, but managed to restrain herself.

Stay in character...stay in character...

"Yes, of course."

Katsura entered, his bizarre companion at his shoulder.

"So, what's up?" (F/N) asked, trying her best to demonstrate an easygoing and cheerful personality. "Are we finally gonna bomb someone?" Please tell me what your plans are so I can go home!

Katsura shook his head. "(L/N)-dono, you are very skilled, and your enthusiasm is admirable, but there is more to our fight than violence."

(F/N) stared at him. "Uh...of course?"

"I was wondering if you would like to go grocery shopping with me."

(F/N) froze. You came all this way to ask me to go grocery shopping?

"Of course!" (F/N) replied. "But you don't have to go with me, you know? I'm perfectly capable of taking care of myself." She picked up her sword, which was leaning against the desk. She'd never been among the best swordsman in the Shinsengumi, but she'd proven to Katsura that she could hold her own.

Katsura chuckled. "You really are naive! I make it a point to get to know each person that joins the Joui. We'll be working together for a long time, after all."

He turned to leave, looking over his shoulder for a moment as if saying 'aren't you coming?'

(F/N) reluctantly followed, clenching her sword in a tight fist, and trailing behind her was Elizabeth.

(F/N) shivered under the amanto's gaze, and hesitantly grabbed Katsura's sleeve.

"Um, Katsura-san..."

He glanced down at her.

"Um, Elizabeth-san is like your second in command, right?" she stammered. "Shouldn't he stay behind—like—to hold down the fort?"

"Hmm...that's a good point, (L/N)-dono! I knew I picked you for a reason!"

He petted her head, and blushed in spite of herself. Even if he was a maniac and a rebel, she couldn't deny he was gorgeous.