Chapter 9

Katsura woke up with an aching chest and little recollection of how he'd gotten that way. When he thought back, he remembered hearing (F/N) scream, and throwing himself in front of Okita Sougo's sword. Everything after that was a blur. 

He looked around, and saw he was in the infirmary at one of the lesser-used hideouts. He didn't know how he could have gotten there. (F/N)'s swordsmanship barely got her through the Joui entrance exam. She couldn't have defeated all those Shinsengumi on her own.

Come to think of it, where was she?

Suddenly stricken with panic, Katsura sat up, only for Elizabeth to force him back down.

'Rest,' said the sign.

"Elizabeth-dono," Katsura gasped, "where is (F/N)-chan?"

'I don't know,' Elizabeth answered. 'The last time I saw her, she brought you back unconscious and bleeding. She warned us the Shinsengumi knew the location of our hideout, and left. Haven't seen her since.'

Katsura panicked.

"Why didn't she come back? Did I say something wrong? Does she hate me now? Was she taken by the Shinsengumi? She's going to be executed, isn't she? Or maybe she was taken by mutant moles from the Earth's core, angry at humanity for—"

Elizabeth hit him over the head with a book.

"Ow, Elizabeth-dono—"

The book fell into his lap, and Elizabeth held up a sign.

'This was found in (L/N)-san's room at the old hideout. I think you should read it.'

Katsura picked it up, and, upon closer inspection, saw it was (F/N)'s diary.

"I can't read this!" he protested. "This is (F/N)-chan's private—"

Elizabeth opened the diary, and, purely by accident, Katsura read the first line at the top of the page.

Day one of Joui Rebels infiltration.