Chapter Fourteen

I awake the next morning and stretch like there is no tomorrow. I didn't sleep too well, me and Jordan's past haunted me in my dreams. They haven't done that for years now. Many years.

I scoot over to a wall and check the sun through between two boards. The sun is close to rising. I need to leave before the family wakes up.

I quickly gather my things and rush out of the tree house. When my feet touch the grass, I take off to the fence, quickly leaving my old home. I don't know what to do today. I need to stay low, but I have no where to really go. I could hang out where the homeless people go. Or hang out by the beach, if the weather's nice. Or I could go to the park.

That sounds nice. The park. I think I'll go to the park today. Stay in town for a day or two before heading off again. If the cops don't catch me first. I dismiss the thought of that and slowly walk to the park.

***************

Nobody really isn't at the park. So I climb the tree at the edge of the little playground area. Climbing to basically the top of the tree, I reach into my bag and pull out a wig. Slipping it on my head, I adjust it, making sure my normal hair is hidden. I grab a mirror to and double check my hair. All is good.

A couple of voices that come from the mouths of two young girls catches my attention. Locating where the voices are coming from, I watch curiously from up in my tree. The two girls are chasing each other, quickly making their way to the playground. Upon further inspection, I realize that the two are Lana and Megan, followed by Aunt Mallory. My aunt sits on a bench near the playground, smoking a cigarette, when did she start smoking?

Aunt Mallory's hair seemed carelessly thrown into a brown and white bandanna. She obviously didn't brush it this morning. Her clothes seemed casual to, jeans and a white t-shirt. She looks as if she had seen a ghost. Did she turn into this because of me? It would explain it somewhat, but she only just saw me yesterday. But she did just discover that I've been there for basically a week.

I turn my gaze to watch the girls. Megan is wearing turquoise tights and a turquoise top with brown polka dots. Lana is wearing brown tights and a brown top with turquoise polka dots. Both have their shoulder length brown hair pulled into low pigtails. Clearly Aunt Mallory didn't have enough patience to actually get their part straight enough to look good.

The girls are still chasing each other but only this time they are on the playground and passing through obstacles with ease. I can tell that they have been here more often for they are better at climbing and swinging and all of that. Any way to get them out of her hair I suppose.

I climb down a couple of branches to get a better look instead of keeping my head at an extremely uncomfortable position. The girls are playing their little hearts out. Enjoying life like Jordan and I used to.

One of the girls tries to climb up a slide and it's just then that I realize that the slide is super slippery and they're going to slip. I climb down the tree too fast and I misplaced my footing. So, I then fall out of the tree, landing with a thud on the ground near the tree.

I close my eyes before reaching the ground and I open them five seconds after I landed. I push myself up until I'm on my knees, feeling extremely sore. I guess falling seven feet out of a tree will do that to a person.

I raise my head to the sound of running footsteps. The girls run over to me before I can run away myself.

"Are you okay?" Megan asks, both of the girls stopping before me.

"I'm fine." I try to hide my normal voice. I look at the girls briefly to insure them that I'm alright.

"Jane?" Lana asks me.

I freeze. How did? Is she? I don't think about that anymore.

"Jane!" Lana exclaims, stepping forward.

She wrapped me up in a hug and cries into my shoulder. "Why did you leave? You didn't even tell me!"

I couldn't say another word before Aunt Mallory started screaming. "Megan! Lana! Get away from that person. You don't know where they have-"

She stops when I turn to look at her, I know she figured out that I'm Jane. The wig must've turned or something.

Before my aunt can get anymore near me, I break Lana's grip around me and sprint away from them. I run until I can't breathe any more it hurts so much.

I hide in an alleyway all the way to the back and take off the wig. I stuff it into my bag and pull out a different wig that I bought some time ago.

I fix myself up until I barely recognize myself and then leave the alleyway. I turn left and turn my Mp3 player on, trying to zone out the almost busy streets. I just want to be alone with my thoughts and think about where I'm going next.

I could go to an entire different city, maybe even a different state. But which one? There are too many to pick from. And going by myself couldn't be any easier. Maybe I could go to California. Maybe Louisiana. Or maybe Minnesota. Or Maryland.

I move my body to avoid a very distracted man shouting into a phone. Boss must be telling him that he's on a deadline, like all of the other jobs these days. I'm so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't realize that all 30 of my songs have played and that the streets are now completely crowded.

I look around the street and the thought hits me. I know where to go.

I need to visit an old friend.