Chapter Fifteen

I push play on my listening device and a song starts to play. I don't really pay attention to the song, I just need to find a phone. If only I could find a phone booth. Then everything would be good. I just need to make one call.

But what's his number? Did he change it? Is his phone even working? I don't even know if he still has the same phone. Guess I'll have to be lucky. Still walking down the streets, I decide to actually listen to the music. It's really the only thing to keep me from getting bored while I look for a stupid phone.

I'm too deep into my music that I failed at noticing the increase in wind and when I finally do notice, the wind has already blown my wig off and I'm running to catch it. I bump into so many people and objects. I try to grab it but the wind made it change directions just like in TV. I never actually thought that happened. I follow it and try to grab it, failing every time. I grab one last time before I call it a lost cause and it actually lets me grab it. I smile in victory before stuffing it in my bag.

Some shouting ahead and running makes me look up slowly. Police are running at me fast. Crap. I pick up my bag and sprint down where I came from chasing the wig. I know that the wig fell out of the bag for I didn't really do a good job of stuffing it in the bag before I was so RUDELY INTERRUPTED!

I ran from the cops before, basically when this all started, but since then I have been doing some running, so I guess that this is a little easier for me. But also easier for them too. It appears that they have been practicing running too and if I don't ditch them soon, I'm dead.

I run through the maze of a crowd, trying to outrun the cops. It's not going well in my favor. I bump into many people, most if them are acting all rude about it. I guess I would be too. As I push through the people I know that my time is running thin. So I locate the next alley and when I'm near I run into it. floating myself against the side, I hold my breath as the cops run by, pushing pedestrians out of their way.

After half a minute of waiting, I release my breath and run deeper into the alley. Now the sun is more toward the west. It's past noon for sure. I set my bag down and open it. Grabbing a new pair of tennis shoes and a different wig, I put them on also switching out my dark blue sweatshirt for a red one.

I wait for a couple more minutes before exiting the alley from the opposite side. I walk with the busy crowd who don't notice as I slip out from the alley. I reach inside my bag and pull out a map of the state, making it seem like I don't know where I'm going. Though I do.

I need to go to the train station. I got to get out of here. More than just getting out of the town, I need to get out if the state. Go somewhere where I can hide again, like before. I just need to get out.

So I gaze down once more at the map before folding it up and putting it back in my bag. I'm going to the station.

***************

I purchase a train ticket to Idaho. I randomly chose it on a map and thought it was a good place to go. Luckily the money that Lizzy gave me could last a very long time. I could probably travel the world twice with what I have. But that's just me exaggerating.

I stop by the café and pay for a coffee and a roll. Need to get some food in my system. I take a sip of the coffee. It actually doesn't taste too bad. I quickly finish my roll and take the coffee to go. I sip on it while I make my way to my train. A speaker overhead sounds saying that my train will leave in five minutes. I gulp the rest of my coffee down, it warms my throat as it travels down it. Throwing the now empty cup into a nearby trash can, I quicken my pace into a slight jog.

The line for the train isn't that long and I stop just short at the end of it. The line decreases within three minutes and then I'm ushered inside the train. I take my seat and know that for the next 2 days, I'm going to be very bored. I rest my head against the seat and slowly my eyes start to close without my will.

My mother rubs her hand, it looks bruised and almost broken. I limp back to my room. It's just another Friday. I lay down in my bed and close my eyes, drifting into a dream.

A car is being driven down a road at night. It swerves too much and the motions are glitchy and very quick, like someone can't fully comprehend what they are doing. Like someone driving drunk. Then suddenly the car driven by the drunk person crashes into another car. The faces are blurry, except one.

My father's.

I sit up straight on my bed and my breathing comes out in loud gasps. I control my breathing and rest my head against my hand, feeling mentally exhausted. I open my eyes to find Lizzy standing on the far side of my room. I gasp and scramble to the edge of my bed, scared at the sight of my dead friend.

"Sorry, you had to see that Jane." Then she shoot the gun that she was holding.

My eyes snap open before any other part of my body moved. I had two dreams in one, how often does that happen? I stretch with what little space I have and look around the train. Multiple families have gotten off already and the sun just seems to have rose a couple hours ago. I guess I slept through the rest of the day and all throughout the night. Lovely.

I slide down the seat a little and take a deep breath. Reaching inside my bag, I take out a granola bar and munch on that. This is going to be a long day.

***************

The train reaches Idaho by sunset and I hail a taxi, going to the nearest cleanest hotel within the capital. I pay the taxi driver and walk into the hotel. I pay for a room and go up to it, using the "my parents said to pay for the room now so that when they get back from work they can just go up to their room" excuse, I quickly get off the elevator and enter my room. Which is right next to the elevator. I dump my bag on the desk and plop down on the bed.

I close my eyes for a second before remembering what I had forgotten to do a couple days ago. I sit up and practically jump on the jump. I read the instructions for how to dial a cell and quickly punch in the numbers. The phone rings while I mumble "please" under my breath. The phone rings six times before he answers.

"Jordan? It's Jane."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ha! Back in business! I have inspiration on my side! I feel like I can fly! *climbs 50 flights of stairs to roof and stands near the edge* Nevermind. Energy left. [Not today suicide, not today]

I'm just kidding. I wouldn't do that . . . . maybe.

Anyway, that's chapter fifteen. Only five chapters left! What am I going to do with myself?! Oh, yeah. Write the second and the third book. How could I forget?!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, it's a little bit longer than my other ones, but all the same here.